Discuss Lighting backfeed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Those three swtches control 4 total lights on one cuircut
@Jchandler1965 I went back and read your profile and it appears to be a great job you did but since it’s on it’s own circuit and you have all your neutrals wired together right and you are breaking only the hots through the light switches. One question after watching your video it makes me think are them type of switches you are using LED compatible. In my mind your installation looks good so we can’t see the actual wiring it has to be them push switches can leak voltage and make your lights do some funky things. Every thing we have discussed it has to be the switches, I’ve seen worse and LED lighting and plain old switches just don’t work right. Replace the switches with LED compatible switches. Good luck

@Jchandler1965 I went back and read your profile and it appears to be a great job you did but since it’s on it’s own circuit and you have all your neutrals wired together right and you are breaking only the hots through the light switches. One question after watching your video it makes me think are them type of switches you are using LED compatible. In my mind your installation looks good so we can’t see the actual wiring it has to be them push switches can leak voltage and make your lights do some funky things. Every thing we have discussed it has to be the switches, I’ve seen worse and LED lighting and plain old switches just don’t work right. Replace the switches with LED compatible switches. Good luck
Thank you for your assistance.

What are the LED compatible switches and how do they differ from normal ones? Do they have components in them to counter any inductive or capacitive pickup?

What are the LED compatible switches and how do they differ from normal ones? Do they have components in them to counter any inductive or capacitive pickup?
@DPG when LED lighting first come out people started having trouble with their lights. Now they make switches for LED lighting but people go out and buy just any old switch without a thought of their lighting. It has to be the switches, DPG we’ve worked our minds hard over this. The regular switch can leak voltage at maybe 20-30vac and if that’s not it I don’t know what to tell him
[automerge]1573833454[/automerge]
@DPG when LED lighting first come out people started having trouble with their lights. Now they make switches for LED lighting but people go out and buy just any old switch without a thought of their lighting. It has to be the switches, DPG we’ve worked our minds hard over this. The regular switch can leak voltage at maybe 20-30vac and if that’s not it I don’t know what to tell him

The contacts on regular switches don’t open far enough which leads to leaking. I don’t know if you have ever worked on the old Allen Bradley PLC s and on digital outputs there contacts are called triacs which would leak 50vac so I guess I’m trying to tell you that regular switches act like triacs

Last edited:
I don't believe the contacts on a mains light switch don't open enough to fully break the circuit.

Obviously I get the theory of triacs and electronic switching and dimming, but we are talking straight on/off switches here

Last edited:
I don't believe the contacts on a mains light switch don't open enough to fully break the circuit.

Obviously I get the theory of triacs and electronic switching and dimming, but we are talking straight on/off switches here
DPG if the switches don’t work I don’t know what else to tell him. If all the neutrals are wired correctly and the grounds made up I just don’t see another way that this problem could happen

Reply to Lighting backfeed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock