Discuss Lighting backfeed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have install canister lighting in my livingroom. Run by three switches. All switches work just fine. Problem is when lights are off they have a very low glow to them like there is a backfeed. What coulsd be the causes?

I have install canister lighting in my livingroom. Run by three switches. All switches work just fine. Problem is when lights are off they have a very low glow to them like there is a backfeed. What coulsd be the causes?
Jsander you are getting some kind of back feed. How many lights per switch and are they all on their own circuit or are they other loads on that same circuit

Jsander you are getting some kind of back feed. How many lights per switch and are they all on their own circuit or are they other loads on that same circuit
Jchandler welcome to the forum

You have to be careful with lighting, reason is the base that the bulb screws in to is actually connected to the neutral and the center tap inside the base is connected to the hot. Could you have crossed the polarity of just one of the lights. I’ve seen them crossed and the light works but it’s making the frame hot because some and not all lights don’t have a ground in the fixture

Are these LED lights?

Are these LED lights?
@DPG I don’t know if they are LED lighting or what so I assumed they was regular bulbs. He’s got something funky going on and without pictures I’m just guessing

Thought they might be. Have a search on here for threads on capacitive pickup and snubbers, and I think you may find your answer.
DPG it’s like your saying it’s just wires

Three way switches with ground.
Jchandler you do not need 3 way switches and you need to purchase just single switches with 2 screws with 1 on each side and a green ground screw. I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on so when you get the switches make sure that they will work on LED lighting. I still think something is crossed in the new wiring but either you take pictures that we can look at or change the switches. Let us know and we will get it fixed

Did you read post #11?

Jchandler you do not need 3 way switches and you need to purchase just single switches with 2 screws with 1 on each side and a green ground screw. I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on so when you get the switches make sure that they will work on LED lighting. I still think something is crossed in the new wiring but either you take pictures that we can look at or change the switches. Let us know and we will get it fixed
The lights are controled from three different locations. Why would i not need three way switches?

Attachments

• 1114191225.mp4
    13.5 MB
jchandler I seen your video is those lights on a breaker by there self

Reply to Lighting backfeed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net