Discuss Lighting problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mark7600

Hi This is my first post, I am on my first year of CG 2300. A friend asked me to change a few lightfittings for her. Changed the ceiling ones no prob but came across a problem with her wall lights. The feed for the two lights are fed off a unswitched fused spur via the 32a skt ring upstairs.
Her two new lights do not have a switch on them. I also found that the fuse in the spur was a 13a! What is your opinion on this and is it a usual thing to find? Mark

The Trouble With Feeding The Lights Via A Fused Srur Is That When U Connect The New Lights Up They Will Be On All The Time .i Would Get Her To Purchase Some Lights With A Switch On Them .

Yeah, sorry didn't read the post properly but as above, you have no switching ability there. Either change to a switched fused spur or buy wall lights with switches on

Thanks guys, I did put 3a in, But bit of pain as she will have to run up stairs everytime she wants to turn the lights off. Unfortunately the fittings match her ceiling ones, and she likes the look of them! Could I take a few floor boards up upstairs and j/b off to ceiling light so the wall lights come on with ceiling lights? Is that acceptable practice.

Some (Rum) will insist that you should pull a new circuit in! My advice - lift the boards and JB the cables to provide you with what you need. Most will agree I think you will find.;)

Some (Rum) will insist that you should pull a new circuit in! My advice - lift the boards and JB the cables to provide you with what you need. Most will agree I think you will find.;)

Yeah youre right cirrus,i would install a fresh circuit, if the ceiling light is a 3 plate fitting i would take the switch wires from there, if its not i would use a joint box to feed it anyway ,as i explained before.
if the cables were subsiquently to short then rewiring is the only option, otherwise you end up with 3 joint boxes ,which i dont consider good practice:)

what happens if she,likes them so much,she wants them in another room as well,or all the rooms,the only good thing about it ,is the discount you will get if you buy a box of a 100;)
my advise ,do the job rite,rip it out and rewire the circuit:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you've solved most of the problem. I agree they should be supplied from the lighting circuit, but there's no law against running them from a 3A fused spur. Two possible solutions to the switching problem. 1) Put a patress mounted 1 gang switch underneath each light, 2) (if the wall lights are directly below the fused spur), lift the floorboard and put in a ceiling pull switch.

Mark

You say that they are feed off an unswtiched spur in your first post then say she has to run upstairs to switch them off :confused:

How can she switch them off if it's an unswitched spur as you say?:confused:

hi im doin a rewire for part of my nic assessment iv fitted 50w down lights in my bathroom the fittings in the attick are via j/bs do i need to fix the jbs to the joists or can i fix em to the plaster board???

regards
iceman

Reply to Lighting problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net