Discuss lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

snatch

recently upgraded the workshop lighting. 3 banks of lights. each bank being supplied by a different phase. used a three gang switch to operate with all three phases. a question has been raised if this is against regs having all three phases in one light switch. i can understand the reasoning but is it against regs?

Dont see that its AGAINST the regs, although there should be a warning notice on the switces with 'Danger - 400Volts present' or similar, the same as you would with sockets on different phases

thank you for your reply. i have put a notice up saying 400v on switch. i too can not see anything against regs. nice to get one over on people who slag you off but never seem to do.

only just joined this forum and can already see its a good a tool.

thanks once again.

Hi snatch,
im not saying theres anything wrong with what you have done ,but in years to come if the label falls off or a inexperianced electrician happens to mess with it ,it could be hazardous i suppose
I think i wold be inclined to play safe and use a contactor to switch the lights.
all the best
rumrunner

Hi snatch,
im not saying theres anything wrong with what you have done ,but in years to come if the label falls off or a inexperianced electrician happens to mess with it ,it could be hazardous i suppose
I think i wold be inclined to play safe and use a contactor to switch the lights.
all the best
rumrunner

Rumrunner

Labels have been stuck on switches like this for many years gone by and will be done for many years to come.

One problem using a contactor is supply to contactor coil fails and hey presto no lights at all, the way stated one phase goes down at least two rows of light still lit.;)

hi ian,
im not saying theres anything wrong with what you have done ,and i presume you have a nice clean dry workshop ,in some places ,like say a foundry ,farm and damp dirty places,labels are not much good for long,and why would a coil burn out ,your much more likley to burn a switch out ,especially with an heavy inductive load such as flouresent lighting,use 3 contactors if you want to ensure some lights will stay on if theres a fault,you can even fit a time clock easy then ,just in case you forget to turn them off ,do your bit for the planet and all that
rumrunner

Hi

You have 400v across terminals in the multi-switch at several points in very close proximity and inductive loads.

I am pretty sure your switch accessory will NOT be rated for 400v so your in breach of Section 5, BS 7671 by inappropriate selection.

Why not have three single switches with one phase each?

I am sure engraving "Danger 400v" on a switch will only cost few £s. Doing a safe and professional job like that will convince the client to accept the costs.

Reply to lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock