Discuss lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
could some1 please expalin in detal how to wire two celing roses opreating by 1 swicth please. which cable goes to what termainl i just wana c if the idea i have is right :)

All you do is take a link form the switch live , N + E off the original light to the new light .

One way light is wired - L.N.E in L.N.E out these are the loop and must be connected togeter ( L to L , N to N and Earths together ) , then from the sw you run a L.N.E , connect the L in with the othere 2 Lives , and use the black/blue as your sw Live (put a bit of sleeving on it) ..... now connect your ceiling light to the loop N and your sw Live ... and dont forget to earth

my mother in law asked me to look at her lights as im a traniee electricians i fort i give it a go she has two standard light fittings celing rose which operate from one sw the problem is when the swicth is on both lights come on when you swicth it off only one goes off. i have an idea what the problem is but i fort id get advice from you profesnalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic-sid
so are you stuck with oe light on all the time now as you cant switch one of them off..??

yes :)

Sounds like when you have connected up your lights you've connected the loop switch wire to the live terminal instead of in the switch wire terminal if one is staying on all the time.

In the ceiling rose there are three terminals:

the first is the neutral terminal and connects to the neutral of the lamp.
the middle is the live terminal and is used to supply the switch.
the third is the switch return terminal and connects to the live of the lamp.

There is also a separate earthing terminal.

You have probably connected the second ceiling rose to the live (middle) terminal, whereas it should be connected to the switch return (third) terminal in the first ceiling rose. So the second ceiling rose connects across the first and third terminals.

Hope this helps.

It always helps to draw a diagram - that way you can follow the process through logically and it remains clear if you come accross this in the future. Draw 2 ceiling roses with the terminals and a switch with the terminals. Take a neutral to one neutral terminal and then from there to the neutral terminal in the other ceiling rose - thats the neutrals done!

Then take the phase from the supply to the loop terminal in the first ceiling rose.
From the same loop terminal take a phase cable to the common in the switch (switch feed).
From either L1 or L2 in the switch take a phase cable back up to the Live terminal in the ceiling rose. (Switch wire).
From that live terminal loop straight accross to the live terminal in the second ceiling rose.
They will then both switch on and off at the same time. If you draw this out you should be able to see how quite clearly!

Reply to lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net