Discuss Load Limiting Device in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ziggy256

DIY
Reaction score
I'm having a heat pump installed (SwimSpa) and a Sauna, already have an electric car charger.

My current supply amp is 60, Western Power has said I can go to 80Amp BUT must fit a load limiting device, need one where we can set what goes off and in what order should the Amps get close to the 80.

What devices are out there that will be able to do this?

Simplest option is the likes of a shower priority switch so you can't use the heat pump and shower simultaneously, etc.

There probably are fancier options like some EV charges have to throttle use based on a CT (current transformer) sensing your total load, but off hand I don't know.

Priority relay - monitors total power and turns off circuits if you exceed the setpoint.
It probably doesn't need to actually switch the power - it could (for example) interrupt the control signal for the heat pump. That would depend on the relay separating the sensing and switching functions - many are a combined unit.

I suspect that with the rise of "electric everything", we'll see a lot more devices coming along.

I'm having a heat pump installed (SwimSpa) and a Sauna, already have an electric car charger.

My current supply amp is 60, Western Power has said I can go to 80Amp BUT must fit a load limiting device, need one where we can set what goes off and in what order should the Amps get close to the 80.

What devices are out there that will be able to do this?
Have also now had a request for need for something similar.
Anyone aware of such equipment on the market since last years post?

Also try a search for "load shedding relay" - seems to get a few better hits. Though interestingly, mostly foreign - I think in the UK we are lucky in having effectively "high capacity" supplies even on domestic properties, while in many countries it's common to have supplies limited by a relatively low rating MCB.

If I remember correctly we had a Schneider loadshedder at our place in France, can't find a link at the moment but I know I have the details somewhere, will look and post later.

This was the one I fitted as I had three phase: https://www.se.com/fr/fr/product/A9C15913/acti9-cdss-délesteur-tri-1-voie-par-phase-415vca/??range=836-acti-9-cds&node=12144008257-pack-maîtrise-de-lénergie&selected-node-id=12144008587 Three shedding circuits per phase, but I certainly did not pay that much for it, if I remember correctly it was about €300.00.

Installation instructions make interesting reading: https://download.schneider-electric...File_Name=S1B1539101.pdf&p_Doc_Ref=S1B1539101

It's worth noting in France that your incoming supply has an Amp limiting RCD that automatically will switch your supply off if you try to draw too much current for your tariff.

Last edited:

Reply to Load Limiting Device in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net