Discuss Loft Insulation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

betambeau

Does anyone have a solution to stop loft insulation itching?

No matter what I wear, it still goes through and makes me itch! If I go up for a long time my skin goes all red!

Any subjections?

An apprentice :D

Have to admit it doesnt bother me that much, I do wear a mask if in the loft for a prolonged period.
You could try using a barrier cream (baby lotion) might help & you'd smell nice after being in a hot loft ;)

I’m not an apprentice! I just always end up going up cos I’d rather just go up and get the job done, than stand around arguing about it!!

Baby lotion is ALL good, hate to think what stick I’d get pulling a bottle of baby lotion out of my bag!!!

i dont find it itches me these days...
but by god the dust that is on it can be bad.... only time i ever wear a mask is in a loft with old insulation

Have a bath in it and you will soon find you are cured! I used to go up in a loft dressed like a frikkin spaceman but now go up in my Y fronts!

Rockwool just itches like mad all i found i can do is have a really hot shower and scrub the skin to get the fibres out.

Celotex is just as bad when its being cut gets down your throat and in your eyes even when wearing mask and goggles.

But they are using some better insulation these days in some new builds, thin layers of what looks like silver foil.

The worst is old school insulation which makes me feel like a giant hamster wading through old dirty cotton wool.
Its just one of those things that us sparks have to deal with.

Now this may be an urban myth, but when I was an apprentice there was a bloke who recounted a tale of someone he knew (at least he said he knew) who had a dump in a loft and used the fibreglass as bog roll !!!! :eek:

Aparently a trip to casualty was required !

i used to work in a fibreglass factory and was constantly itching through most of my apprenticeship

i dont think you do develop a tolerence and therefore think you mr cirrus are one of these pain loving perverts and i bet your stripped to your panties before the client has even said they have a loft:D

on a less disturbing note .......

a lot of homeowners have been given very cheap offers for loft insulation because of the energy savings madness unfortunately this seems to involve sticking a hose up there and blowing the stuff in loose :( last bungalow i went in had about 40cm of the stuff:eek:

When I first started my apprenticeship I spent all day rummaging in a loft putting new fire alarm system in went home had hot shower as usual, woke up in morning and my right hand had blown up like a balloon and I couldn't make a fist the skin was so tight. Turned out I had some fibreglass wedged in there somewhere. Took some antihistamine and it was right as rain.

Never happens now though cos I think the skin on my hands have toughned up, the ol man told me the other night it was like being stroked by a navvi:eek:

Rockwool just itches like mad all i found i can do is have a really hot shower and scrub the skin to get the fibres out.

thats the worst thing you can do:eek: when you have a hot shower the pores in your skin open up and fibres get in deeper,you should have a cold shower first to get most of the fibres off ya then have a normal shower to get clean.try it ,works for me.:)

Maybe thats why my skins so tough:p

Well hot always worked for me cos i figured it opened up pores and fibres could be scrubbed out???? surely cold water closing the pores would keep fibres in??? I dunno just bloody hate the stuff

Reply to Loft Insulation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock