Discuss Look at these bad boys! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimmymac

I had these given yesterday

Look at these bad boys! voltage tester - EletriciansForums.net Look at these bad boys! multi - EletriciansForums.net

I've never seen a voltage detector like this before, instructions say 'FEB 1979, made in England' (you see that anymore)

Multi-meter is made by Keithley, i think it was made in the USA

There's actually nothing wrong with either of them, the second one is a Mega tester as well by the looks of it.

Thanks for the info sparks1973,

Hi marvo, i knew there wasn't anything wrong with them cos i used them today. i'm gonna put them in my collection.

I take it the wiggy was a popular model then??

Thanks for the info sparks1973,

Hi marvo, i knew there wasn't anything wrong with them cos i used them today. i'm gonna put them in my collection.

I take it the wiggy was a popular model then??
well at one time they were really the only thing for checking for voltages and safe iso....by all acounts their virtually indestructable n all......lol.....i think they date to just after the 1st world war.....but they made em continually up until quite recently....i think shipyards liked em...before they went onto john drummonds....

There's actually nothing wrong with either of them, the second one is a Mega tester as well by the looks of it.

I think you may find that tester may not comply to GS38 being a few decades old!!
Fingerguards on probes, 2-4mm tips yada,yada......

basically all it is ...is a plunger on a spring with an electro-magnet..(think electric doorbell).....so as the magnetic force overcomes the tension of the spring....so the plunger moves..and shows a voltage on the scale....the higher the voltage..the more the plunger is moved....thus showing a higher voltage...seemples..

I cant believe its in such good condition, the box it damaged but it still has its instruction with it. The multimeter is in a leather case, they've been well looked after.

Good old Square D testers, they were an improvement over the test lamps we used to have. You could feel the body vibrate when voltage present so didn't have to be in a position to read the scale

I found one brand new in a box plus leather case when I worked in ford,awesome little thing,really cool how it vibrates to sense voltage.
I used it for ages until inevitably someone stole it,probably with no idea what it even was,got bored and threw it out a few days later.

Reply to Look at these bad boys! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock