Discuss Looking to start out / add more skills to my toolbox in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to achieve some electrical qualifications to add to my toolbox and am looking for some advice on what's what.

Back story:
I'm 35 years old, my day job is in IT and have a small property maintenance business on the side, I find myself having to get a electrician in to do some work as required more and more frequently. This ranges from adding an additional outlet onto a radial all the up to a complete rewire. My go to electrician has as some might say became a "mate" over the last few years and he has suggested that as 99% of the electrical work I have him do is in domestic properties it may be worth me looking at training and then registering as a domestic installer with one of the lovely part P schemes.

Onto the questions:
I have spent a couple of months googling and reading reviews of the intensive training courses and trying to work out what specific qualifications are required for the part P schemes, TSFU offer the following for £2.5K and claim it's enough to register with NICEIC as a domestic installer, but other than the lack of real world experience is this enough on paper?

Days 1 to 5 - City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
Days 6 to 10 - City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations
Days 11 to 15 - City & Guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course
Days 16 to 18 - City & Guilds 2382 – Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments)

I don't expect a crash course to magically make me a qualified electrician as I know it won't and that's not what I am trying to achieve here.

Any advice or direction would be gratefully received.

Kevin

(Some older members may appreciate a larger font .. )
Cut/pastes seem to mess with cur. Post font size..
Couldn't spot an edit button for the original post, so fixed below:

Hi

I am looking to achieve some electrical qualifications to add to my toolbox and am looking for some advice on what's what.

Back story:
I'm 35 years old, my day job is in IT and have a small property maintenance business on the side, I find myself having to get a electrician in to do some work as required more and more frequently. This ranges from adding an additional outlet onto a radial all the up to a complete rewire. My go to electrician has as some might say became a "mate" over the last few years and he has suggested that as 99% of the electrical work I have him do is in domestic properties it may be worth me looking at training and then registering as a domestic installer with one of the lovely part P schemes.

Onto the questions:
I have spent a couple of months googling and reading reviews of the intensive training courses and trying to work out what specific qualifications are required for the part P schemes, TSFU offer the following for £2.5K and claim it's enough to register with NICEIC as a domestic installer, but other than the lack of real world experience is this enough on paper?

Days 1 to 5 - City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
Days 6 to 10 - City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations
Days 11 to 15 - City & Guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course
Days 16 to 18 - City & Guilds 2382 – Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments)

I don't expect a crash course to magically make me a qualified electrician as I know it won't and that's not what I am trying to achieve here.

Any advice or direction would be gratefully received.

Kevin

yes, you can register with the NICEIC with that lot, when you apply they get you to do a daft multi choice exam on the computer at home with your books, so only a numpty can fail it... its the same for elecsa, i know as a friend who recently came out of the forces did it at start of the year with elecsa. then just show them a job done, with the required paperwork and insurances and you are in. not offering a view on the rights or wrongs of it, but its a entry route and for some can work.

yes, you can register with the NICEIC with that lot, when you apply they get you to do a daft multi choice exam on the computer at home with your books, so only a numpty can fail it... its the same for elecsa, i know as a friend who recently came out of the forces did it at start of the year with elecsa. then just show them a job done, with the required paperwork and insurances and you are in. not offering a view on the rights or wrongs of it, but its a entry route and for some can work.

Thanks for the info, I see that the 4141-01 was developed in-house by them and covers the basics of circuit installation etc. Can this be replaced with real world experience as 80% of the jobs I pay to be done I assist on? I already have a reasonable understanding of ring finals, radials and basic lighting circuits. I have no intention of jumping straight into new circuits, CU's, re-wires or new installations.

I'm also not planning on using a crash course to gain the C&G's, I intend to work my way through the relevant courses and then only do the work myself that I am competent at and continue to use my mate for anything that is bigger than I want to take on until I have gained a lot more experience.

I have spent the last 4 weeks at college learning about design installations, diversity, cable calculations, voltage drop, impedance triangles etc etc yet within that time I could've gone to a training shed and be qualified to join NICEIC and work on a customers property.

Thanks for the info, I see that the 4141-01 was developed in-house by them and covers the basics of circuit installation etc. Can this be replaced with real world experience as 80% of the jobs I pay to be done I assist on? I already have a reasonable understanding of ring finals, radials and basic lighting circuits. I have no intention of jumping straight into new circuits, CU's, re-wires or new installations.

I'm also not planning on using a crash course to gain the C&G's, I intend to work my way through the relevant courses and then only do the work myself that I am competent at and continue to use my mate for anything that is bigger than I want to take on until I have gained a lot more experience.
just had a look on the ts40 website, you can do just the courses you want to do and skip that 4141-01 course if you want, by the sounds of it it involves just putting sockets and switches up on a board, you can pop down screwfix and buy some stuff and do that at home.

Reply to Looking to start out / add more skills to my toolbox in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock