Discuss Looped Service in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That would be too easy, the problem is the DNO is split into several divisions all doing their separate bit, it is highly likely the person who upgraded the service head wouldn't have a clue about the need to replace those, nor would the person fitting the meter etc etc... there was once a time many decades ago when they had skilled people who did the job lot and knew their stuff and this would never have been left like that.
The guy that replace the meter said he would put the cable in the report he had to put in.

Stick to your guns. The problem is with next door's supply, not yours. It's not your problem how they get a new supply to next door, nor should it inconvenience you in any way..
If it was a new build next door, they wouldn't be wanting to "run it up your bedroom wall", so don't let them now.
Thanks, yes I have sent an email to SPEN explaining that this is not on.

UPDATE Company carried out survey for SPEN saying the preferred option was to keep the looped service. As it a concrete floor in that part of the house (used to store the coal at one time) they would have to go up and over. They want to run the cable up the wall then up the bedroom wall along the loft space and same for next door. Told the was not having that (bat enough with the shower cable taking that route). Spoke to them on the phone today they saying that's the only way as it concrete floor. I would have thought they could bring a new supply up the wall next door and cover with protection plate, so said that to them so they now going to pass it back to Scottish Power Energy Networks
I would have concerns about the safety of having a live DNO cable run internally within the property the way that has been suggested and I do wonder if a risk assessment of that route would consider it safe

Thanks, yes I have sent an email to SPEN explaining that this is not on.

Hi Guys,
I have a looped service in my house, concerned about the cable going next door. It looks old and brittle (I have not touched) . It was installed about 1955, do you think SP Energy Networks would replace the cable
OP keep us updated, I would be interested what the DNO say/do.
UPDATE Yesterday new supply put in to house next door and looped service removed from my house.

Reply to Looped Service in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net