Discuss Makita 110v 9 inch grinder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a 3.5kva generator wich has burnt out 2 new makita grinders .. they are used for cutting 3mm steal box section .. not forced through the metal at all to be fair it hardly scratched the surface. Triped the generator half a dozen times then the grinder got slower slower and nothing just stopped.. if had many 9ich grinders runny off generators in the past ..
Any help would be grateful as I'm told the generator is burning them out

What is the rated output of this particular Generator, that is as you say "burning out 119Volt angle grinders? Frequency and Voltage wise

It's not the generator I had 2 in a week also they are awful and poorly made the second one I returned I just took a refund and staff member at screwfix said they were getting loads back. Change brand. I got the cheaper Erbauer and it sticks a lot of abuse

It's not the generator I had 2 in a week also they are awful and poorly made the second one I returned I just took a refund and staff member at screwfix said they were getting loads back. Change brand. I got the cheaper Erbauer and it sticks a lot of abuse
I didn't day I got it from screwfix Haha but yes I did and I wont get any more from there

I have a 3.5kva generator wich has burnt out 2 new makita grinders .. they are used for cutting 3mm steal box section .. not forced through the metal at all to be fair it hardly scratched the surface. Triped the generator half a dozen times then the grinder got slower slower and nothing just stopped.. if had many 9ich grinders runny off generators in the past ..
Any help would be grateful as I'm told the generator is burning them out
This is just a guess but i bet the grounded conductor is not bonded to earth, at 120vac any thing you plug in is probably going to fail. Solution is drive a price of pipe in the ground and run a wire from the rod to the frame

3.5KVA running 2 9inch grinders.

I doubt the genny is man enough to run this load. Anything else coming off it? 32 amp maximum output (unsure if this is it's continuous rating or not).

Average 9 inch grinder require around 16 amp a little less in reality. So running 2 of them you are really on the limit of the genny. especially with stopping and starting the grinders at the same time.

Why are you using a genny? Location restriction?

Might be better with a fixed transformer.

3.5KVA running 2 9inch grinders.

I doubt the genny is man enough to run this load. Anything else coming off it? 32 amp maximum output (unsure if this is it's continuous rating or not).

Average 9 inch grinder require around 16 amp a little less in reality. So running 2 of them you are really on the limit of the genny. especially with stopping and starting the grinders at the same time.

Why are you using a genny? Location restriction?

Might be better with a fixed transformer.
It's just one 9 inch and it's on the highway so only a genny can be used but should burn the grinder out surely... it was a brand new grinder

Just for balance, I run a 110V Makita 9” grinder off a 3kW transformer. It has worked perfectly for the last few years and cut miles of concrete, or so it feels like now.

It's just one 9 inch and it's on the highway so only a genny can be used but should burn the grinder out surely... it was a brand new grinder
Hi - does it seem the grinder starts normally and runs up to speed? I’m just thinking it might not be at full rpm and can’t cool itself?

Apologies, I miss read that you were using 2 at once.

1 grinder on a 3.5KVA genny should be no issue.

Have you tested the voltage the generator is outputting?

If it's not quite 110v and more like 90v the current will increase in the grinder an it also will not run up to full speed. Or the other way the voltage is to high and the insulation is becoming damaged in the grinder.

Reply to Makita 110v 9 inch grinder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock