Discuss Makita 110v 9 inch grinder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Apologies, I miss read that you were using 2 at once.

1 grinder on a 3.5KVA genny should be no issue.

Have you tested the voltage the generator is outputting?

If it's not quite 110v and more like 90v the current will increase in the grinder an it also will not run up to full speed. Or the other way the voltage is to high and the insulation is becoming damaged in the grinder.
Its going in to the shop today to be checked but we have 2 other gennys that have been tested in the last 6 mths and one off them gennys did the same thing to a grinder also from screwfix.. I'm just thinking poor quality makita grinder from screwfix

Hi - does it seem the grinder starts normally and runs up to speed? I’m just thinking it might not be at full rpm and can’t cool itself?
Apears to get up to speed. I thought one off are blokes was putting to much on it and not letting the grinder do all the work .. so when I brought a new one I took it out to site and it lasted 30 mins

If it's not quite 110v and more like 90v the current will increase in the grinder an it also will not run up to full speed. Or the other way the voltage is to high and the insulation is becoming damaged in the grinder.
QUOTE="Rob, post: 1563222, member: 51701"]

[/QUOTE]
HMCIVAL I'm trying to tell you mitike grinder is a nice grinder and think about it 2 brand new grinders have burnt up and you talking about you are using old generators. It needs earth bonding or the regulator is bad in the generator. Instead of buying grinders and buy a new generator

This is just a guess but i bet the grounded conductor is not bonded to earth, at 120vac any thing you plug in is probably going to fail.

It has nothing to do with grounding, (bonding means something different in the UK, please don't interchange UK and US terminology!). UK site tools work at 110V in a special configuration used only on building sites. We earth the centre-tap of the generator winding so that both lines are 55V from earth. But we do not use the tap as a neutral, i.e. there are no 55V loads passing current through it. Even if it becomes disconnected it will not affect the voltage at the tool motor, only reduce the level of protection against electric shock to earth. It is not the same as losing a neutral connection on a US 120V service.

Check the voltage at the generator output with and without a tool in operation. If it is very high, then it might be to blame, but to destroy an angle grinder in 30 mins it would have to be so high you would surely realise that something is wrong (or the disc would burst!). I agree some Makita tools are not what they used to be though.

It has nothing to do with grounding, (bonding means something different in the UK, please don't interchange UK and US terminology!). UK site tools work at 110V in a special configuration used only on building sites. We earth the centre-tap of the generator winding so that both lines are 55V from earth. But we do not use the tap as a neutral, i.e. there are no 55V loads passing current through it. Even if it becomes disconnected it will not affect the voltage at the tool motor, only reduce the level of protection against electric shock to earth. It is not the same as losing a neutral connection on a US 120V service.

Check the voltage at the generator output with and without a tool in operation. If it is very high, then it might be to blame, but to destroy an angle grinder in 30 mins it would have to be so high you would surely realise that something is wrong (or the disc would burst!). I agree some Makita tools are not what they used to be though.
Lucien I was not trying to insult your intelligence and I’m trying to learn the way UK does and in the US if you have a bonding issue the voltage would be reading as high as 180 vac which would easily burn up a drill. Sorry

Buuuut.... it's a standalone generator. Doesn't matter whether it's in the UK or US. If the generator is producing 110V or 55-0-55 V, the highest voltage the motor can receive is 110V. The only difference the earthing can make in this case is what kind of shock the user does or doesn't receive to earth in the event of insulation failure. The tool motor voltage remains unchanged.

Buuuut.... it's a standalone generator. Doesn't matter whether it's in the UK or US. If the generator is producing 110V or 55-0-55 V, the highest voltage the motor can receive is 110V. The only difference the earthing can make in this case is what kind of shock the user does or doesn't receive to earth in the event of insulation failure. The tool motor voltage remains unchanged.
As long as the voltage stays at 110vac I give up and it just seems strange that 2 brand new drills up

QUOTE="Rob, post: 1563222, member: 51701"]

HMCIVAL I'm trying to tell you mitike grinder is a nice grinder and think about it 2 brand new grinders have burnt up and you talking about you are using old generators. It needs earth bonding or the regulator is bad in the generator. Instead of buying grinders and buy a new generator
[/QUOTE]
We have a old bosch grinder that runs fine on all are gennys and our smaller hammer drills small electric breaker also works fine

I'm still wondering if its a feature of how big a Kick ,you get when first spinning the disk up.
Is it a normal cutting disk ,or something more fancy ?
(a mix of Genny trying hard/stutter? ,
No slow start on grinder + Disk heavy on outside edge )

We have a old bosch grinder that runs fine on all are gennys and our smaller hammer drills small electric breaker also works fine
[/QUOTE]
I told him that but he disagreed, it has to be the generator

Reply to Makita 110v 9 inch grinder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock