• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Marcrist Core set with dust extract

Discuss Marcrist Core set with dust extract in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrician's Arms
Has anyone used one of these? Have a few jobs coming up that need a fan cored through red brick wall which tend to be a nightmare as the wall is wet and the dust jams the core drill.

This is the item

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Agree with above; burnt out one core drill with just one hole in wet garden brick work. If wet core drilling is available for hire, I'd go with that.

Electrician's Arms
Not keen on the idea of wet core drilling, the jobs are domestic bathrooms, and I'd imagine the clean up operation after 1 core will be a nightmare. There is no issue doing the core dry, it's just it takes around an hour on average and it's the wet/damp dust that slows things down, if the kit in my opening post brought that down to 30 mins, then happy days.

Owain Thomas

EF Member
I’ve got the exact kit and use it with a Karcher Vac. It works great, hardly any dust and because it extracts the dust it keeps the cutter cooler so it’s lasting longer.

HandySparks

Forum Mentor
The Marcrist dust extract system is pretty good.
A few issues:
If using a core bit with slots, you need to tape them up to stop the dust flying out. The tape wears off and needs renewing for each hole drilled.
Using a Henry works OK, but I suspect that the restriction in airflow causes the Henry to get too hot from lack of ventilation. Maybe need to allow some extra air to bleed in.
I start my cores by screwing a disc of wood to the wall, cut to the inside diameter of the core, as a guide. You don't need a pilot bit so can use extract from the start. Once you're a few millimeters in, you can remove the guide block.

Reactions: 123

GBDamo

Subscribed Member
Not keen on the idea of wet core drilling, the jobs are domestic bathrooms, and I'd imagine the clean up operation after 1 core will be a nightmare. There is no issue doing the core dry, it's just it takes around an hour on average and it's the wet/damp dust that slows things down, if the kit in my opening post brought that down to 30 mins, then happy days.
One thing I found that helped with damp brickwork was to get the core started then SDS four holes 10-12mm at 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock.

It helps to keep the damp clay like dust from building up and binding the bit.

this was with Eurbauer core bits from Sxcrewfix, never tried the expensive ones.

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]