Discuss Marking tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

diced carrots

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering what you guys (and girls) do about about marking up your tools and betteries. I'm new to the trade so most of my tools are fairly new and I'm keen to keep track of them particularly on busy sites where they could easily be picked up (inadvertantly) by others. One DeWalt impact driver looks much like the next!

I've tried black sharpies but it rubs off, silver paint pens are good for black plastic but it soon rubs off too. I've used distinctive electrical tape colour combinations but that's hard to apply to some items like batteries and doesn't necessarily identify stuff as mine.

Any other ideas? custom stencils and spray paint? engraving?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hi all,

I'm wondering what you guys (and girls) do about about marking up your tools and betteries. I'm new to the trade so most of my tools are fairly new and I'm keen to keep track of them particularly on busy sites where they could easily be picked up (inadvertantly) by others. One DeWalt impact driver looks much like the next!

I've tried black sharpies but it rubs off, silver paint pens are good for black plastic but it soon rubs off too. I've used distinctive electrical tape colour combinations but that's hard to apply to some items like batteries and doesn't necessarily identify stuff as mine.

Perm marker pen?

Engraving, or soldering iron.
Makes a mess of the plastic, but makes sure no bugger steals it for selling on.

Keep your tools in the van when not in use, and watch out for plumbers. They’re the worst for picking stuff up that isn’t theirs

I use a perm. marker on the tools and batteries.
put my initials on the hidden parts between battery and tool.
it never wears off as there is no contact with those parts in normal use.
[automerge]1575581845[/automerge]

Attachments

• F8E48EBC-2776-4316-9EB3-9FEF3442DA1A.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 33
I've seen and done the engraving job,but it requires retrieval and close inspection....

I do remember a joiner i met,who did all his batteries,and part of each power tools,with a pink road marking aerosol.

They were very obvious,from a distance,and not that attractive,to start with...didn't look trick,but he was adamant they were not ever touched :)

+one on the engraving or soldering iron
I engraved my house number and postcode on each item then write inside the engraving with a sharpie.
I have seen police stores with with piles and piles of obviously stolen kit that they cannot reunite with it's rightful owners and in many cases they have to hand it back to the crooks as they cannot prove whose it is.

Hi all,

9mm Glock with Silencer

UV pen in a discreet area as well. I use my surname and postcode where possible as stolen tools can be recovered and returned if marked like this.

Take digital photos off all you power tool and battery serial numbers also all test equipment etc, the police will be grateful if (when) anything gets nicked and it will greatly speed up any insurance claim. Everything else I'm a soldering iron your name into the plastic man.

Reply to Marking tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net