Discuss Masthead amplifier stopped working in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kieran73

DIY
Reaction score
I have a masthead amplifier that uses an Antiference PS12F power supply. Recently I had an electrician round to do some work, and he had to throw some of the switches on the fuse box to find the mains plug that he was working on. Since then, I have had no TV signal and the Antiference power supply appears to have died (the green light is not lighting up). Does it seem likely that the plug fuse in the power supply has blown, or does the amplifier in the loft maybe need resetting?

TL;DR
Masthead amplifier stopped working since an electrician threw some switches in the house fuse box. Power supply broken or amplifier needs resetting?
I would first check there is power supplied to the power supply. It is plugged in to a socket in the loft? Or wired to a lighting circuit?

You don't give us any clue as to what work the electrician was doing, so it might (or might not) be possible that said feed to the power supply got disconnected.

I would first check there is power supplied to the power supply. It is plugged in to a socket in the loft? Or wired to a lighting circuit?

You don't give us any clue as to what work the electrician was doing, so it might (or might not) be possible that said feed to the power supply got disconnected.

The power supply is just plugged into the mains, behind the TV. I assume the amplifier is in the loft but I've never been up there to see!

The electrician was adding a hardwired extension to a mains socket in the kitchen, but I don't think it was this work that caused the problem. I think the issue is that he threw all the switches labelled 'Socket' on the house fuse box, in an effort to find the one for the socket he was working on. I have read online that with some masthead amplifiers, if they are switched off (e.g., because they are cut off at the fuse box), you have to reset them manually, so I thought that might be the issue.

...the Antiference power supply appears to have died (the green light is not lighting up). Does it seem likely that the plug fuse in the power supply has blown, or ...
Hi - if I’ve understood correctly the power supply is plugged into an outlet that is definitely working. But the power supply led is not lighting up? If so, it’s definitely worth looking at the fuse in the power supply plug as a first step.

Hi - if I’ve understood correctly the power supply is plugged into an outlet that is definitely working. But the power supply led is not lighting up? If so, it’s definitely worth looking at the fuse in the power supply plug as a first step.

Yes, I thought that might be a good idea; the thing is, I'm not sure I've ever seen the little green LED on the power supply light up, even when it was working (but perhaps I just never noticed it). Apparently this model of power supply comes with a short-circuit indicator, so maybe that's what the LED is for - although green seems like an odd choice of colour for that.

Reply to Masthead amplifier stopped working in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net