Discuss Max zs on double pole mcb in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am filling out test sheets and have a merlin gerin D32 C60 HD double.pole mcb. The rating on the mcb says 415V feeding 2 feeds to a canalis busbar.

BS7671 States max zs for D32 0.4 secs is 0.34. Is this just for single pole MCB?
I have also check my max zs value
from manufacture stating 0.51.

The reading I got at the furtheast light fitting at the tap off of Busbar was 0.47.

So question been do i go with bs7671 or manufacturing result??

Attachments

• merlin_gerin_circuit_breaker_application_guide_full_mgd5032.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
I am filling out test sheets and have a merlin gerin D32 C60 HD double.pole mcb. The rating on the mcb says 415V feeding 2 feeds to a canalis busbar.

BS7671 States max zs for D32 0.4 secs is 0.34. Is this just for single pole MCB?
I have also check my max zs value
from manufacture stating 0.51.

The reading I got at the furtheast light fitting at the tap off of Busbar was 0.47.

So question been do i go with bs7671 or manufacturing result??

It's the same Zs. Does not matter if it is single or double pole. It is still a BS EN60898 D32 MCB.

Look again regarding Zs for a D Type curve MCB. Think what disconnection time are you looking for with that particular circuit type......

I'd be using the manufacturers information. The C60 range covers two standards, both 60898 and 60947, BS7671 only recognises 60898.

Come on chaps :)..... its a distribution circuit. That canalis busbar has fused tap offs, it's not a final circuit. Only 5 second disconnection required. 0.68ohms max Zs for D32. You recorded 0.47ohms. Satisfactory disconnection achieved. It complies!!

The distribution circuit Zs would be taken at the supply terminal to the Canalis End Connectors.

As you are only looking for 5s disconnect then it is actually the same maxZs in BS7671 for both 60898 C&D type MCB's as the regs only separates values for D types.

The MCB protection is protecting the cable supplying the Canalis and meeting ADS.

Changing the type wont help you with unfused tap offs and reduced conductor sizes. Thats very irregular for lighting to be infused of a busbar. If there are unfused tap offs then you would need to confirm that they are also suitably protected against bith overload and fault currents. Overload protection may well not be required due to loads being determined so can be omitted. You would then need to work out if reduced size cables would disconnect under fault condition a) in time, b) before they exceed 70C.
Does raise some Q's anyway.....
How many taps off plugs is there? Can you not put fused ones in? Are the light fittings designed for 32A protection.....I doubt it...

Reply to Max zs on double pole mcb in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock