Discuss Measuring consumption with CT clamps. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to measure current consumption on a number of circuits.

I have installed CTs on all the outgoing socket circuits (4 rings and 2 radials) and they work fine.

I want to measure the total current consumed by all the lighting circuits (6 in total) - but they are spread over 3 phases.

Can I put all the feeds through the same CT and get an accurate reading, or will I have to seperate each phase and use 3 CTs and add the readings?

If they are on the same phase, you can put them through the same ct coil, just make sure the cables pass through in the same direction.

if they are on different phases, each phase needs its own ct coil.

If they are on the same phase, you can put them through the same ct coil, just make sure the cables pass through in the same direction.

if they are on different phases, each phase needs its own ct coil.
Thanks - that's exactly what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

Might have to call someone in - it's crowded in the DB and I think it's going to need completely re-working.

Is there a neater solution than trying to cram the CTs inside the DB?

Reply to Measuring consumption with CT clamps. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Morning all, Really hoping to get some advice / confirm what a few of us are thinking about a job in the future. Back ground - We have to swap...
Replies
Views
Currently planning a new rewire for my kitchen and want to get things right first time when it comes to appliances consumptions and circuits...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, friends. In cases where I do not have a clamp meter, I want to measure the current drawn by the phases of a 3-phase motor with my...
Replies
Views
I am working at a site with around 100 of these meters installed on various loads. Doing an audit, we found that most of the meters were recording...
Replies
Views
Good morning, I have a 3 phase supply into my workshop Hager dist board. I need to measure my usage for business accounts. My Electrician...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock