Discuss Metal cable tie distance in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m working on a commercial construction site and I’ve been requested by he client to install metal cable ties to all inverted tray runs for my beldon and SWA cables.

I’ve looked through BS7671 and I can’t seem to find the distance required between each metal cable tie.

Does anyone know where I can find this distance and what distance it is?

Additionally PVC cable ties are installed, this is just incase of a fire.

The next question is - do all of the supports need to be metal to comply with 521.11.201 ?
I haven't read advice on that, but I've seen some where every clip is metal, some every second clip and some looking retro fitted at 1m.

Last edited:
I think I would concur with wilko that the general approach is that there must be some metallic or fire resisting clips at 1m intervals, the remaining supports can be plastic or such like.
The regulation is as usual for BS7671 fairly vague on wording as Andy78 says it cannot be the sole means of support and must be adequate??
The intent of the regulation is to prevent cables dropping in a fire and causing a restriction to someone trying to traverse the route.
Therefore on a high ceiling above 3m a cable that drops one meter down will not impede the majority of people. If the ceiling is low then a smaller drop could be a problem, so a risk assessment of the amount that cables could drop would be a good idea to ascertain the frequency of fixing.
Having said that if the cable is metallically intact then it should not drop far even if the insulation and sheathing are gone so long as there are regular intact supports.

Which is just madness. That table should be in theBYB....

The way the regulations are worded for cable supports allows for experience and good workmanship to figure out what is adequate. The OSG takes the "dummies guide" approach though I suppose.

The regs are 522.8.4 and 522.8.5

Reply to Metal cable tie distance in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net