Discuss Mk Ln5940 32amp Swap Out For 40amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm well aware these are obsolete but just thought I'd join this site on the off chance one of you might have or know where i could obtain a MK LN5940 type 2 old type MCB. I'll pay for it plus postage, I've tried all other avenues but no joy so far. Hopefully I've come to the right forum. Cheers in advance! Paul

There are a few companies that do reconditioned obsolete gear, I would try that avenue ...ps welcome to the forum.

Awe hi and thanks for your reply I'm after a 40Amp but must be the old type. MK LN5940 Type 2 MCB I need to change an existing 32amp for the 40amp my daughter had just moved in to her first home which had a 8.5kw shower which keeps blowing the switch , it has the 10 mm cable but wrong size MCB. Many thanks.

Awe hi and thanks for your reply I'm after a 40Amp but must be the old type. MK LN5940 Type 2 MCB I need to change an existing 32amp for the 40amp my daughter had just moved in to her first home which had a 8.5kw shower which keeps blowing the switch , it has the 10 mm cable but wrong size MCB. Many thanks.

The size of breaker might not be your problem might it ?
A 32A MCB is entirely appropriate for a 8.5kW load and should not trip even after a long duration. A 6mm cable is usually appropriate for a 8.5kW shower too, installation methods permitting. Is it tripping after a duration of use or instantly as the shower is energised ?

The size of breaker might not be your problem might it ?
A 32A MCB is entirely appropriate for a 8.5kW load and should not trip even after a long duration. A 6mm cable is usually appropriate for a 8.5kW shower too, installation methods permitting. Is it tripping after a duration of use or instantly as the shower is energised ?
OP did say he's daughters house! Suspect its duration.

could be that the breaker is just tired and old, like me and pete. .a replacement 32A might cure.

Hi thanks for your reply.
It trips after a fairly short time of use and I did also think it may be due to age but I'd have the same problem getting another 32amp MCB as I'm having finding a 40, I just thought I'd go for the size that the manufactures state for the shower which is a 40.

Does the circuit incorporate a RCD ?
If not it might be easier to install a separate shower unit with the added benefit of RCD protection than to search for an obsolete breaker that will certainly be second hand and with no guarantee of proper function.

There's already an RCD, I could just up grade the consumer unit as it's only a small one consisting of 6 MCB and an RCD as the property is only a small flat however I'm just looking at keeping costs down.

If you can't find an alternate MCB, you perhaps should consider an RCBO populated CU (dependant on supply), or a dual RCD CU. As you are an electrician, you should be able to install this for your daughter at a very reasonable price!

Just managed to get another MK LN5932, 32A MCB so ill give that a go first when it arrives hopefully it'll only be as already mentioned the current MCB could be tired. Cheers and many thanks for all the comments.

Reply to Mk Ln5940 32amp Swap Out For 40amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net