Discuss MK to discontinue comsumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes Hager intend the rectangular knockouts for use with trunking and they are spaced and sized to accommodate trunking sizes.

You can also get plain case or round knockouts if you desire, but not sure if that option is across all the ranges.

Thanks for those replies!
I guess oversize trunking will cover round holes, but the reverse isn't always the case, if you assume 25mm conduit is the usual max size

Genuine question here...
why are the knockouts square? Is it for trunking?
Yes.

Can you just cone-drill them round? instead of knocking them out...
I've never tried to do so, but wouldn't recommend doing so.

I use these boards for jobs where there the surface cable entries aren't required as they're cheaper than the version that has knock-outs. My first-choice board.

Last edited:
Interesting, JK, thanks!
But I REALLY want to try drilling them out!
I would see it as a triumph...
not a Honda or a Kawasaki, obvo!

Got a rare hager board yesterday after reading this thread, must say I was very impressed with it. Only let down for me was the square knockouts. I know they give grommet strip with it but round would just be easier.
Get one with the product code ending "RK" - that is the round knockout version.

I'm not a fan of square knockouts either!

Being perfectly honest I prefer things being supplied without any sort of knockouts so that I can drill where I want and not have to worry about some eejit accidentally knocking out the knockouts.

There will be others on here with much more knowledge than I have, but a round knockout is always going to be more successful than a square one...don't know the physics behind that claim, but somehow it seems correct...
A square cut-out maybe, but a knock-out is bound to be easier if it's round...

I was never a massive fan of mk either!
I do like the Hager boards and tail adapter for the Hager knock outs they are a good idea. As for the square knock outs the do adapters for conduit and the likes as well, I have tried drilling them with the armeg speed holesaws and they are fine as long as you don't drill the connection tabs then they just twist out:(
I also prefer plain enclosure with no pre-made knock outs, we all have drills and hole saws why bother, must be cheaper to make them without all that extra presswork and tooling!

Get one with the product code ending "RK" - that is the round knockout version.

I'm not a fan of square knockouts either!

Being perfectly honest I prefer things being supplied without any sort of knockouts so that I can drill where I want and not have to worry about some eejit accidentally knocking out the knockouts.
I managed to get one which I was really pleased with. Hager is quickly becoming my go to. Been very impressed so far and most things are readily available.

Got a rare hager board yesterday after reading this thread, must say I was very impressed with it. Only let down for me was the square knockouts. I know they give grommet strip with it but round would just be easier.

Most of the Hager boards are available with round knockouts. Just look for the "RK" at the end of the code.

....incoming....shameless sales pitch.... :grinning:

We have a selection for sale that come loaded with your choice of MTN Type B MCB's.

Hager Boards with round knockouts

Split load - High integrity - 100A Main switch - 2 x 100A Type A RCCB - Type 2 SPD - Inc MCB's
VML910CUSPDRK - 10 way - £134.20
VML914CUSPDRK - 14 way - £140.80

Split Load - High Integrity - 100A Main Switch - 2 x 100A Type A RCCB - Inc MCB's
VML916CURK - 16 Way - £85.50

Split Load - High Integrity - 63A Main Switch - 2 x 63A Type A RCCB - Inc MCB's
VML616CURK - 16 Way - £79.20

Split Load - 100A Main Switch - 2 x 100A Type A RCCB - Inc MCB's
VML955RK - 10 Way - £72.60
VML966RK - 12 Way - £81.40

Split Load - 63A Main Switch - 2 x 63A Type A RCCB - Inc MCB's
VML655RK - 10 Way - £67.10
VML666RK - 12 Way - £74.80

Don't forget you get an extra 5% discount as forum members and free delivery on orders over £50.00 (UK mainland).

Cheers,
Ivan

Last edited:

Reply to MK to discontinue comsumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock