Discuss More ads, suddenly? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've noticed across multiple devices in the last few days what seems to be an increase in advertising intensity. So much so on the mobile that I had to install a different ad blocker otherwise the forum was basically unusable, the ads completely drowning out the content. If it is a real change and not a result of my browsers being updated etc, then my impression is that it is counterproductive.

Just done all of that Dan and the message still pops up within a second of the page loading, it then stays there on every page I go to of the forum. I'm using 'ghostery'.
It's not the end of the world as I just add your site to the 'trusted' list which means ad block doesn't work for your site, then the message isn't there.
I need to find out what is going on as users who read only and can't ask me about it may have issues.
I will keep this issue on my to do list mate. Thanks for the heads up on it.

I need to find out what is going on as users who read only and can't ask me about it may have issues.
I will keep this issue on my to do list mate. Thanks for the heads up on it.
Well l have taken no action at all and don't use an ad blocker that I know of . The ads are still there between posts , but are stable and not causing the posts to jump around all over the place.

Last edited:
Well l have taken no action at all and don't use an ad blocker that I know of . The adds are still there between posts , but are stable and not causing the posts to jump around all over the place.
Sponsors only? That's what your account should show. No Google though.

Right Dan, go have some quality time with your daughter, can all members with questions direct them at @westward10 ???

Yes it's back to normal for me too on the laptop with Firefox. E.g.:

Screenshot_2020-09-06 Electrical Forum.png

Cheers Dan!

I’m still seeing quite a few ads on my phone. Including an annoying drop down ad at the top.

Is this correct? See attached. Cheers

Attachments

• 1AFBF95A-F4E1-4E16-A7F3-672993E5F601.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 13
Seems to have got worse again this evening, big ads wedging themselves in while I'm scanning the list of threads. It's tedious. I don't need an electrician to come round in 30 mins and I already by my PCBs from PCBTrain and my trainers from JD Sports. Grr.

Right, I've possibly found the code that was doing it. It isn't actual ad-code, it's Google's tag manager which is a different thing but related. So it's cheeky really that they just assume I want ads on pages I've installed something else on.

But hey-ho.

Can you guys who have/had the issue clear your browser cache for me and reload the forum fresh? I might need to flush the cache my end with CloudFlare too but that causes other issues so if I can dodge it I will.

I'll hang around a bit wait for somebody to test it for me but I've got to go give my mum a lift in a bit lol :D

I've noticed across multiple devices in the last few days what seems to be an increase in advertising intensity. So much so on the mobile that I had to install a different ad blocker otherwise the forum was basically unusable, the ads completely drowning out the content. If it is a real change and not a result of my browsers being updated etc, then my impression is that it is counterproductive.
Im with you, inline ads I can just about tolerate but the full screen advertising attacks and the bars across the top of the screen that you HAVE too minimise to access the nav bar are too far.
The forum needs money to run, I get that, advertising brings in a form of income, I get that bit to RP it up like this is only going to have a negative effect on the membership and interaction.

Case on point re; nav banner

Screenshot_20200909-160004_Chrome.jpg

5 extra adds on a 4 post page .. (IView attachment 60713
I h8 those google snoopers)
Unsure if that would be the case if they actually showed !
Those are sponsors banners. Still not quite finished sorting them out.

I want it so that when the sidebar is displayed like that, they aren't then in the horizontal spots too. But then for those on smaller screens, no sidebar but then in-content instead.

So I'm still playing around with those.
[automerge]1599669270[/automerge]
Still full of ads for me. Just cleared cache. iPhone
Are yours Google ads or Sponsors banners?
[automerge]1599669364[/automerge]
Okay I've just cleared the cache on CloudFlare, our content delivery network that stores a copy pre-loaded for returning visitors. So it will reload again for you.

But I have a feeling they're sponsors banners.

Right, I've possibly found the code that was doing it. It isn't actual ad-code, it's Google's tag manager which is a different thing but related. So it's cheeky really that they just assume I want ads on pages I've installed something else on.

That explains why I wasn't affected - no script blocks this by default.

Besides the right hand side window, I'm getting at least one advert between each post, it seems. It's been happening for a while now, I mentioned it a good few days ago in another thread.
Also, what's happened to the latest post for each section...that's disappeared, meaning having to navigate and open each one to see if any new posts. Getting a bit sick of it, I must admit.

Reply to More ads, suddenly? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net