Discuss (More) AM2 questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am a few weeks away from taking the AM2. I'm still coming across things I'm unsure about it questioning. I'm possibly over thinking but I want to be as prepared as I cam be.

Can anyone answer the below,

Does the sequence of tests have to be exactly like the sequence listed in GN3? The reason I ask is, at college we did Zs (calculated for the AM2) at the end of the live sequence. It's not like that in GN3.

Same question for safe isolation. At college were was instructed to ask for permission, lock off, take cover off, prove tester, perform tests, recheck tester. However, alot of videos iv watched prove the tester prior to locking off and taking the cover off. Would that make a difference?

Many thanks

The test sequence is primarily in that order to maintain the safety of the person testing and any who may be around the system. All dead tests are carried out to prove safety before energising. Zs is verified later to prove the circuit will be safe to use once commissioned, but I suppose until your test sequence is complete it won't be commissioned.

As long as you proceed safely, carry out all dead tests before energising, and complete the full range of tests, then you won't get picked up on too much. If the test centre has taught you a certain way then it is best to follow that.

Same for safe isolation. As long as you prove both before and after testing for dead then you are following procedure.

Try to think less about the exact list of tests and more about the function and purpose of each test.

Thanks Andy78.

Makes sense. I was just concerned I may get marked down if I calculated my Zs prior to Ipf or perform safe isolation in a slightly different sequence to what they would expect

No should be fine. If it's a calculation anyway and not a test it can't really be out of sequence.
Are you not allowed to verify efli through testing ?

No. They specify Zs is calculation not by measurement
Crackers. But they let you live test Ze and ipf ? Makes no sense to me.

I can fully see the reason for calculating Zs but they should let you test for verification purposes also.

I had this a few years ago on the last testing assessment I did, but they let use test Zs if we were using a plug in lead at a socket but not on any live dismantled equipment :rolleyes:

Crackers. But they let you live test Ze and ipf ? Makes no sense to me.

I can fully see the reason for calculating Zs but they should let you test for verification purposes also.

I had this a few years ago on the last testing assessment I did, but they let use test Zs if we were using a plug in lead at a socket but not on any live dismantled equipment :rolleyes:

Yes and they let you test between phases for live polarity

Yes and they let you test between phases for live polarity

Ze was the first live test I carried out and after this he told me to go back to the table and sit and Calculate my Zs’s.

Then he said prepare the board (meaning reconnect the main earth) for the next tests which are PEFC and PSSC. You will double the highest value obtained out of both of these for your Ipf I believe you are not allowed to test between phases, although this may be discretionary, but I certainly wasn’t asked to.

best of luck.

Ze was the first live test I carried out and after this he told me to go back to the table and sit and Calculate my Zs’s.

Then he said prepare the board (meaning reconnect the main earth) for the next tests which are PEFC and PSSC. You will double the highest value obtained out of both of these for your Ipf I believe you are not allowed to test between phases, although this may be discretionary, but I certainly wasn’t asked to.

best of luck.

Thanks james

So no live polarity?

How long ago was your assessment?

Just phase rotation to do as a live check. All your dead polarity will be confirmed by R1 R2 as you proceed.

I took it about 6 week ago.

Where did you take the assessment?

I'm confused on what is necessary. Live polarity was instructed to us at college as one of the tests but I cant find much evidence in GN3 or on site guide to back it up. Maybe its not a necessary test.

I could just ask the assessor if they would like me to perform live polarity? Or is that a bad idea?

Where did you take the assessment?

I'm confused on what is necessary. Live polarity was instructed to us at college as one of the tests but I cant find much evidence in GN3 or on site guide to back it up. Maybe its not a necessary test.

I could just ask the assessor if they would like me to perform live polarity? Or is that a bad idea?

I’ve attached a photo of the testing and inspection section broken down into the parts they want you to do they send you this at the end of the assessment. RCD testing isn’t on there but it’s the last one you’ll do, and it’ll be done on the ring final circuit with the rcbo and press then test button at the end.

I don’t think you’ll do any live polarity, I would guess the reason being you don’t need to because you’ve already confirmed polarity as a dead test.

try not to over think things mate. ?

Attachments

• (More) AM2 questions BD8AC7E0-9903-4A66-A3DD-531D99EA9282 - EletriciansForums.net
    BD8AC7E0-9903-4A66-A3DD-531D99EA9282.png
    118 KB · Views: 42
if you are really worried how to carry inspection & testing, why don’t you just take AM2 Revision test at a centre, Well i Just finished my assesment on thrusday 28 nov 2019 and I have passed it , but i have taken AM2 Test Online Revision with XS Training Online Video Classes and they are really worth, keep watching again and again you will pass it, just do exactly what they show in videos, But in assesment, your assesor is going to give you a Folder, You have to Complete Install and Inspection & Testing following that folder. Use GN3 or Onsite Guide for Inspection & Testing.

Your only Live tests are :-

1.(Ze) External Earth Fault Loop Impedance
2.(PFC) Record Highest reading between PEFC and PSCC.
3. (ZsDb) Earth fault Loop Impedance at Board
4. (Phase Sequencing) L1, L2, L3.
5. (Last Test is RCD/RCBO Testing.
All your Initial Install testing is Dead Testing.

ZS= Ze+ (R1+R2)

once obtained your ZE Calculate all your ZS Values.

Good Luck to you

Regards
Amnesh

Last edited:

Reply to (More) AM2 questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock