Australia Moving to the uk

Discuss Moving to the uk in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys

My partner and I will be moving to England in a few months for around a year or so. I'm a fully qualified electrician in Australia and I'm aware of the steps I need to take to become qualified in the UK. I was just wondering if I could get a job doing security cams or door access systems (extra low voltage) without doing all the 18th edition course etc. I'm only there for a short time and don't really see it being viable spending a few thousand pounds on courses and books if i can get a similar job in the same industry.

Thanks heaps

CCTV, alarm systems, access control, all no problem. without UK electrical qualifications you'd be limited to domestic work involving non-notifiable works, ( notifiable works refer to new circuits, replacing CUs, works in bathrooms or other special locations).

so no licence would be required for cctv etc?
we don't have licences here. anyone "competent" can carry out electrical works, subject to a thing called part p, which means that to comply with notifiable works, you need to join a competent persons scheme.( about £500/year fee) which would entail 18th ed. regs as a minimum .not worth the hassle and cost if you're only here for 12 months.

As mentioned above plus, Data cabling, and i guess you could sub contract to an electrical contractor that is signing off the work . Good luck and oh BTW the weather is crap here, bring warm clothes, waterproofs and a wooly hat..lol

I read on here that you can make $600 a day doing rewires. Being an Aussie, you will knock that over in half a day.
Just helping a brother out

I don’t think so mate. Proper built houses over there. Chasing brick, installing capping or conduits.... putting in Noggins for back boxes all takes time.

I don’t think so mate. Proper built houses over there. Chasing brick, installing capping or conduits.... putting in Noggins for back boxes all takes time.
not much brick to chase in a UK new-build,.... all thermalite block with dot and dab board, or studded walls.

I read on here that you can make $600 a day doing rewires. Being an Aussie, you will knock that over in half a day.
Just helping a brother out
Aye...……...could see you OK, sat in the van, freezin' yer goolies off on a building site in December.;)

I thought it was a narrow margin between 20 and 22
20 or less, Tools down it too cold
22 and above, too hot best hit the beach for a tinny and bbq?

I know all there is to know about Australia, having watched crocodile Dundee several times.???

Mad Max 1 or Wolf creek is "as Australian" as it gets.

I have spent a couple of months over there , I am far more a Northern Territory guy than a Sydney harbour person.

Reply to Moving to the uk in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock