Discuss Need some help/guidance on 400A distribution board in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning!

Trying to decide on the most appropriate/cost effective distribution board?

Supply: 3 phase 400A
Circuits:
7 x single phase (16 - 60A)
1 x 3 phase (80A)
+ 6 single for future proofing

Setup: Main supply comes into pump house where fuse, meter & distribution board will be located - each outgoing way feeds a different workshop/unit on the farm (requires 300mA RCD - Regs 705.411.1 iii).

Are there any particular makes/models to go for/steer clear of?

I've got little experience in anything over 100A so all your advice is much appreciated.

We use Schneider..

IS THAT 400a PER PHASE, OR TOTAL?

Morning!

Trying to decide on the most appropriate/cost effective distribution board?

Supply: 3 phase 400A
Circuits:
7 x single phase (16 - 60A)
1 x 3 phase (80A)
+ 6 single for future proofing

Setup: Main supply comes into pump house where fuse, meter & distribution board will be located - each outgoing way feeds a different workshop/unit on the farm (requires 300mA RCD - Regs 705.411.1 iii).

Are there any particular makes/models to go for/steer clear of?

I've got little experience in anything over 100A so all your advice is much appreciated.

You will be limited in what you can fit if you want to install a 80A MCB.

If it is 400A it would need to be an MCCB panel board to be rated to 400A.

If you have 400A coming in then maybe something like this. See if it's suitable for you.

Schneider Powerpact for me too. Quite pricey but can't fault 'em.

Chint make me squint....but I've never used their equivalent.

Thanks for your replies, the Powerpact looks like a strong contender.

It's 200A per phase supply but in the supply upgrade requirements it states the tails & main switch must be sized for the 400A cutouts.

Perhaps it would be cheaper to fuse the supply down to 200A?

It's 200A per phase supply but in the supply upgrade requirements it states the tails & main switch must be sized for the 400A cutouts.

What are you responsible for? Just the CU and the outgoing circuits?

Maybe seek clarification on the requirements. That makes no sense to me.

You have only worked on 100A supplies do you have the tools for terminating 240.0mm+ size conductors.

I always like melin gerin, with a 400 amp DB you would also need a looping in box under the board to help with the cable in due to the size of the cables, However Schnieder is also good kit.

Merlin is Schneider, it’s my bad habit calling the new gear Merlin.

Good point about the expansion box.

Yep.

Square D eventually looked like Merlin before it all got rebranded I think.

I have no idea how chint got away with the copies. Even the MCCBs are carbon copies on the outside and the accessories fit.

I would consider fitting a 400amp MCCB power board to take on the heavy demand circuits then a 3ph 160 mccb feeding a standard 3ph mcb board to ensure mcb / mccb full discrimination although schneider do do a 125 amp that can be set up for full discrim' to mcb's if I recall but 160mccb always for me.
Other options are busbar chamber and heavy circuits direct through sw/f units and again a 160 amp to feed a 3ph dist' board.

PS if using switch/fuses of this size do consider extension boxes where cables are large, using tri/rated if tailing off busbar helps in installation too.

I am responsible for the CU, tails & crimps to connect tails to the distributors meter.

LeeH: This is what is written in the SSE customer installation requirements:
The customers tails & main switch must be rated for the maximum kVA for the cut-out fuses to be installed and not the kVA capacity signed for.

..............................................................................................................
Thanks for making me re-think this, I've realised my mistake.

It clearly says the tails & main switch must be rated for the fuse to be installed (200A) - as in every other scenario - not sure how I got tangle up but thanks for the help and advice!

Would you guys still advise Schneider for a 200A 3 phase DB?

Would you guys still advise Schneider for a 200A 3 phase DB?

Schneider do a Acti 9 dist board that you can bung a 200A switch disconnector in. If I remember correctly there are extra bits needed for the board when you change the isolator for a higher rated one than 125A. All my paperwork is at work and I'm not there this week.

Reply to Need some help/guidance on 400A distribution board in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock