Discuss Need some non electrical advice. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A Lady friend of mine (Sister in Law before you all start) has a problem, next door is complaining about the smell of her cooking (it's a mid Terrace in Bath)
Matey next door is a bit of a (Not a very nice Person if you get my drift) anyway I was down in Bath yesterday and checked out the cooker extraction, all working, problem is the extract, extracts into the chimney flue, common to both Houses, he is around every other day harassing Her, not nice.
I told her to speak to him and say you are going to get a builder in to Assess the problem, probably cost of a call out, and that he should share this cost at 50%, if he doesn't agree then stop bothering Her or She will take legal action, two ways of sorting this out, the way I have described, or send the Boys round for a peaceful discussion, any serious ideas on the way forward? She live on Her own, so does he, not met him. Oh he has been renovating his house so could have caused some damage, not sure, I intend to go and have a look myself when he is next there.

Do subtly check he is just being fussy ,
(and doesn't have -a non manly allergy , ie Nuts ,Red/green peppers ).. a reason for apparent -Extra irritability/paranoia !
--or just a pet hate for a certain ingredient--
Some nationalities do love tenderising things with garlic.
(it is that time of year for open windows)
..My pet hate burnt plastic - Car harness fire smell.
(Sorry not so hot on people behaviour tips -Failed my understanding the wife test the other year)

check that chimney has not been obstructed--- birds nests etc. the cooking smells should vent up into air, being warmer than ambient. failing whick, stuff his side with a few cans of sticky foam.

A Lady friend of mine (Sister in Law before you all start) has a problem, next door is complaining about the smell of her cooking (it's a mid Terrace in Bath)
Matey next door is a bit of a (Not a very nice Person if you get my drift) anyway I was down in Bath yesterday and checked out the cooker extraction, all working, problem is the extract, extracts into the chimney flue, common to both Houses, he is around every other day harassing Her, not nice.
I told her to speak to him and say you are going to get a builder in to Assess the problem, probably cost of a call out, and that he should share this cost at 50%, if he doesn't agree then stop bothering Her or She will take legal action, two ways of sorting this out, the way I have described, or send the Boys round for a peaceful discussion, any serious ideas on the way forward? She live on Her own, so does he, not met him. Oh he has been renovating his house so could have caused some damage, not sure, I intend to go and have a look myself when he is next there.
Maybe invite him round for a taste of her cooking (assuming its very nice) he might change his attitude. ;)

Alternatively, finding a solution to extract via another outlet is probably your best answer (assuming he's just not being overly sensitive). You can get air turbulence that buildup in vents, flues and associated ducting especially shared outlets which can cause back pressure causing some of the air to migrate back in rather than out as intended.

Could be a breakdown within the chimney structure. Happened to a pal of mine...next door fitted a log burner and his bedroom wall got so hot the paint and paper peeled off. Some kind of diverter had fallen away, so neighbour had a "sleeve" or liner installed.

Could be a breakdown within the chimney structure. Happened to a pal of mine...next door fitted a log burner and his bedroom wall got so hot the paint and paper peeled off. Some kind of diverter had fallen away, so neighbour had a "sleeve" or liner installed.
hope the liner wasn't the Titanic or the Lusitania.

hope the liner wasn't the Titanic or the Lusitania.
Should have said , already checked that Pete, no work of that nature has been done and She has lived there for 50 plus years, thanks for the idea though, meant answer this in your post sorry mate, not meant for Tel, apologies to Tel.

You could try a smoke pellet from SIL's cooker as used by gas engineers, TBH it will require some cooperation between both to get to the bottom of it. He could try and leave his extractor (if he has one) on permanent low..... just a couple of ideas

Pete, a chimney needs a through draught to work. Maybe this has been blocked with alterations, or maybe it has been blocked with chip pan grease or the like.
A bit visual investigation may help.

You could try a smoke pellet from SIL's cooker as used by gas engineers, TBH it will require some cooperation between both to get to the bottom of it. He could try and leave his extractor (if he has one) on permanent low..... just a couple of ideas
I was going to say do a smoke test. One of those weird thick match things that looks like a fishing float.
[automerge]1567111447[/automerge]
Put in a recirculating hood
That's probably the easiest and cheapest and doesn't involve him at all.

I was going to say do a smoke test. One of those weird thick match things that looks like a fishing float.
[automerge]1567111447[/automerge]

That's probably the easiest and cheapest and doesn't involve him at all.
Think that's what the builder will recommend to be honest Thank for the input folks.

Reply to Need some non electrical advice. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock