Discuss Netherlands CU Fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Visited my son in the Netherlands last month, and took these pics of his friend's flat (a renovation project). The screw-in white ceramic knobs contain a fused link in the centre (still available in Dutch hardware stores) and were apparently very common in the 70s and 80s.
CPC is the usual thin wire (<4mm) that seems to be common practice over there. Their earthing rods are a different matter altogether, 2m of really thick angle iron with a pointed end that you certainly wouldn't want to drop on your foot. . .

Attachments

• IMG_20230415_155131342.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230415_155058989.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 33
Commonly found all over the world, basically a version of BS3036 style protection.

Visited my son in the Netherlands last month, and took these pics of his friend's flat (a renovation project). The screw-in white ceramic knobs contain a fused link in the centre (still available in Dutch hardware stores) and were apparently very common in the 70s and 80s.
You are looking at 3 circuits (not 6).Theyhad a fuse on the neutralas well.The white button on top is the circuit isolator
Their earthing rods are a different matter altogether, 2m of really thick angle iron with a pointed end. .
How were you able to establish the earth rod was 2 mts long?

Galvanised steel earth spikes are used worldwide, they usually have high/marine spec galvanising and I've seen galve spikes that have been in the ground 50 plus yesas and are still in servicable condition.

As mentioned above those fuses are still widely used, in South Africa we regularly come across the E27 version inside domestic stoves where they use them to fuse the individual spiral or solid plate elements.

You are looking at 3 circuits (not 6).Theyhad a fuse on the neutralas well.The white button on top is the circuit isolator

How were you able to establish the earth rod was 2 mts long?
I've seen them for sale in a DIY store (we know how to have fun on holiday) and they are a bit taller than me, and really heavy. A complete contrast with the weedy bit of copper they use as a main earth, and the plug sockets and where they put them (anywhere).

I've seen them for sale in a DIY store (we know how to have fun on holiday) and they are a bit taller than me, and really heavy
Thats of interest.Traditionally Holland had a TT supply system.I,m not as up to date with European standards as I used to but that 2 mt earth rod would,nt suffice for the electrical installation you showed in the picture as its resistance would be too high to blow a fuse under fault conditions.Unless there is an rcd present there as well somewhere? Have I missed it in the picture? There is a device to the right of the fuses but I can,t quite make out what it is.

A complete contrast with the weedy bit of copper they use as a main earth,
In a TT system you would be surprised to see earth rod impedance Ra below about 10 ohms, so earth fault currents above 23A would be unusual, hence the use of thin-ish earth conductors (probably 4mm-6mm copper).

If you look in the right place on my interview on BBC News today, you can probably see exactly that pattern of stoppenkast (CU) on one of the glass shelf units.

I've always been a fan of Diazed fuses, they were well ahead of their time when launched by Siemens over 100 years ago and still technically quite good performers.

Thats of interest.Traditionally Holland had a TT supply system.I,m not as up to date with European standards as I used to but that 2 mt earth rod would,nt suffice for the electrical installation you showed in the picture as its resistance would be too high to blow a fuse under fault conditions.Unless there is an rcd present there as well somewhere? Have I missed it in the picture? There is a device to the right of the fuses but I can,t quite make out what it is.
I think the new white box on the rhs (Toonfrequentontvanger) could be a surge protection device ? Not sure about the old grey box next to the CU, isolation switch perhaps ? For obvious reasons I thought it best to keep my hands firmly in my pockets.

I think the new white box on the rhs (Toonfrequentontvanger) could be a surge protection device ?
No.Its a receiver.Its also the property of the DNO
Not sure about the old grey box next to the CU, isolation switch perhaps ?
Am equally uncertain but its also a part of the DNO,s property
For obvious reasons I thought it best to keep my hands firmly in my pockets.
Good decision.

On closer inspection I can see that the device to the right hand side of the fuseboard is actually a main switchfuse and not an rcd.

It now appears increasing likely that there is in fact no rcd protection on the property.Not entirely surprising as Holland is one of the European countries which lagged behind when it came to the installation of rcd,s as standard.

The main thing to check is there actually is an RCD (or all final circuits are RCBOs) and to periodically check it trips OK using the self-test button. That way you have high confidence that the protection is actually working,
The flat belongs to a friend of my son - I'm sure the electrics (and heating, plumbing, insulating, plastering, decorating. . . ) will be on the to-do list.

No.Its a receiver.Its also the property of the DNO

Am equally uncertain but its also a part of the DNO,s property

Good decision.

On closer inspection I can see that the device to the right hand side of the fuseboard is actually a main switchfuse and not an rcd.

It now appears increasing likely that there is in fact no rcd protection on the property.Not entirely surprising as Holland is one of the European countries which lagged behind when it came to the installation of rcd,s as standard.
It looks as though there hasn't been any work done inside for the last 30 years or so (quite a nice garden though !). I will certainly encourage them to get the electrics sorted out asap.

Reply to Netherlands CU Fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock