Discuss Next project, my own house in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Squid

Had a meeting with my architect so will be drawing up the plans and submitting them to the Proletariat Planning Department that controls the local area, was thinking something along these lines for the rear, different interior, layout and patio but I like the outline of the extension,

thoughts, my house is also a terraced dwelling.

Next project, my own house Rear Extensio - EletriciansForums.net

Had a meeting with my architect so will be drawing up the plans and submitting them to the Proletariat Planning Department that controls the local area, was thinking something along these lines for the rear, different interior, layout and patio but I like the outline of the extension,

thoughts, my house is also a terraced dwelling.

I suggest you 'get an electrician in' to rewire it, one whose in a scheme :D

I suggest you 'get an electrician in' to rewire it, one whose in a scheme :D
aha. not necessary to be in a scam if building control are involved anyway, due to it being an extension etc., etc.

aha. not necessary to be in a scam if building control are involved anyway, due to it being an extension etc., etc.
Interior remodelling loft conversion and filling the gap from the ground floor upwards so that I can move a bathroom to become an ensuite and add another bathroom to the same floor.

Remedial works coupled with major as I don't think I have enough money to fully gut the house.

does that mean you can have 2 baths a year instead of 1 before emptying them?:D:D:D.

We spent our 20 % contingency before a brick was laid .... Do your sums carefully.

My top tips

beware of unmapped public drains when you want to put foundations

The boundary wall act will apply

Difficult neighbors don't have to allow access for you or scaffolding

LABC are fully aware of my recent kitchen rebuild and only wanted to inspect the steel going in, no mention of any electrical work done...

normally they want a EIC from the installer, after checking his/her quals. no notification through the closed shop money grabbing scams.

Interior remodelling loft conversion and filling the gap from the ground floor upwards so that I can move a bathroom to become an ensuite and add another bathroom to the same floor.

Remedial works coupled with major as I don't think I have enough money to fully gut the house.

You don't live near Jimmy Page? Could get messy.

Start to engage with your neighbours and both explain what you would like to do and listen carefully to their reaction to it. Think early on about access to their land, digging of excavations and any possible impact on your neighbours' and placement of scaffolding. It is best if you can agree it all between yourselves and record that on signed paper - otherwise one has to spend a fortune on chartered surveyors. Don't assume that because you get on well now they will roll over to let you build - our neighbours didn't and were constantly niggling us during the build. Think also about where the boundary lines and building lines are going to be. Good luck.

Study this:

http://www.rics.org/Global/RICS_Party_wall_legislation_and_procedure_6th_edition_revised.pdf

Last edited:
You don't live near Jimmy Page? Could get messy.
He lives a couple of miles from me and I know Robbies house as it used to belong to Michael Winner, there is also a nice Lotus parked in the street, also one of my old bosses lives or owns a couple of houses up the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start to engage with your neighbours and both explain what you would like to do and listen carefully to their reaction to it. Think early on about access to their land, digging of excavations and any possible impact on your neighbours' and placement of scaffolding. It is best if you can agree it all between yourselves and record that on signed paper - otherwise one has to spend a fortune on chartered surveyors. Don't assume that because you get on well now they will roll over to let you build - our neighbours didn't and were constantly niggling us during the build. Think also about where the boundary lines and building lines are going to be. Good luck.

Study this:

http://www.rics.org/Global/RICS_Party_wall_legislation_and_procedure_6th_edition_revised.pdf
I allowed my neighbours some leeway (documented) and to one side the foundations have been widened (I paid my share) so that I can build on, my other neighbour wants to do the same as he wants to build an extension as well and I could do a deal where the same builder builds both but access is through my property to save him wrecking his, for a price of course.

I like the design form and layout, one thing that will apply heavily is the Party Wall Act. You need to get a party wall agent to keep all parties happy, this where you will find out how difficult your neighbours are.

With large openings such as those you will need to do SAP calcs and reach the desired U Values set out in Building Regs. Looks like a fun project and I hope you enjoy the process, just be aware any unforeseen problems can be costly.

I like the design form and layout, one thing that will apply heavily is the Party Wall Act. You need to get a party wall agent to keep all parties happy, this where you will find out how difficult your neighbours are.

With large openings such as those you will need to do SAP calcs and reach the desired U Values set out in Building Regs. Looks like a fun project and I hope you enjoy the process, just be aware any unforeseen problems can be costly.

We spent our 20 % contingency before a brick was laid .... Do your sums carefully.

My top tips

beware of unmapped public drains when you want to put foundations

The boundary wall act will apply

Difficult neighbors don't have to allow access for you or scaffolding
Terraced house so its an up an over for the scaffold, this is an easier build but more costly then the last one that I did, now that one was a bitch.

Reply to Next project, my own house in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock