Discuss no access to db in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
its not due a test until november 2024 , but in one of our block of flats ,a schneider 24 way db has been installed on the right hand side of a tight cupboard.
the door is hinged on the left.
schneider dont make a right hinged door.
im mostly out of ideas other than getting the original installer back if possible to fix it.
anyone have any ideas?

TL;DR
wrong db installed?
To be honest I would see this as the perfect opportunity to buy a new tool such as an odd shaped spanner or screwdriver to access the door hinge fixings.

Are you sure the door can't be inverted and installed in either direction, most DB's allow this. If not and if you can't remove the door you'll have to get the cabinet guys back to make some alterations so wooden panels can be removed.

To be honest I would see this as the perfect opportunity to buy a new tool such as an odd shaped spanner or screwdriver to access the door hinge fixings.

Are you sure the door can't be inverted and installed in either direction, most DB's allow this. If not and if you can't remove the door you'll have to get the cabinet guys back to make some alterations so wooden panels can be removed.

They definitely can't be reversed.
Certainly not the acti9 range anyway, Schneider have stayed true to the Merlin Gerin tradition of making excellent protective devices, good DBs and terrible lids/doors.

schneider have confirmed they dont make the door /lid i require . NICEIC have said to contact the original installer who is a NICEIC AC .
its in a walk in cupboard with plasterboard walls and a door to the left of the Consumer Unit ,the manufacturer also said i cant drill out the door hinge and use other hinges to put on the right .
our company will contact the original installer tommorow .
is a door not part of the fire resitant construction?

is a door not part of the fire resitant construction?

DBs don't have a fire resistant construction, the room it is installed in should probably be fire sealed though.

Consumer units in a domestic installation need to be manufactured from non-combustible materials. They do not have to form any kind of fire proof enclosure.

Reply to no access to db in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net