Discuss No sign of Earthing...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning... been called out to replace a DB on this domestic supply... no earth noticed and only bonding is 6mm from the incoming water supply...

Any advice as to how to document this would be greatly appreciated.. would like to get certification correct without any guess work...

Was a late call out to view the current setup so haven't done any Ze or pfc testing as yet...

Screenshot_20230307_103553_Gallery.jpg

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230307_103434_Gallery.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 44
It looks old and I have seen that before when it was using the water pipe as a means of earthing, something that has not been permitted for a few editions and many decades of the wiring regs! Historically that would often get a low enough Ze to allow OCPD-based disconnection on most fuses but obviously is no longer permitted for various reasons, the use of plastic water pipe being the most obvious one that would render ADS impossible.

If the DNO can't/won't provide a supply earth it would need to be made TT with a rod and suitable means of achieving ADS (realistically, RCDs all round).

There are loads of old places around me where the sole means of earthing is via a single bond to the incoming water pipe

Sometimes I have managed to get the DNO to make it a PME , and sometimes I get no joy with the DNO and have no choice but to TT it

One old massive house I went to change some electric heaters that had a Zs at a socket 250 some odd ohms , so I investigated further to find the entire house was relying on a 1.5mm green wrapped around the water pipe

It looks old

Old but not truly ancient. Note the white phase marker disc pinned to the meter board to the left of the service cable.

Reply to No sign of Earthing...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net