Currently reading:
Nominate an idiot

Discuss Nominate an idiot in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mark ju

Quite often reading some of these posts can suddenly bring to mind something that was said or done possibly years ago. I think this will amuse/amaze/astound you...........

A couple of years back, i was involved in working as one of a four man gang involved in sub contracting. As in a lot of sub contracting we tended to fetch up on various jobs here and there and one of these jobs involved a warehouse refit near Goring. To our surprise (and i have to admit-dismay), the foreman electrician on this job turned out to be a guy who had been laid off on a previous job we'd been on, not because of work drying up but mainly because of lazyness and incompetance.
Knowing him to be a total clown, it was very difficult to take him seriously, but as we were pretty much left to our own devices his presence on the job didn't affect us too much.

So..part of the job, without going into too great a detail involved 9 rows of lights (each row had emergencies ) fed from 9 circuits spread obviously over three phases. So i'm stood there with a list detailing bits i needed ordering and he says why do you need nine keyswitches? Well because we have nine rows fed from nine mcb,s. Dont need that he says, you can do it with just one keyswitch. Ahh i said, so you want contactors fitted then, no he said, you can feed all the emergencies from one keyswitch/mcb!

First of all i laughed because i thought he was taking the p**s, but no he was deadly serious! Caused a hell of an arguement, especially when my mates joined in!
I got my own way in the end but i dont think this guy ever believed that what he was proposing was just so bloody wrong, and he claimed to have done it that way on a previous job, so somewhere there were emergency fittings with two phases run to them !
So i nominate this guy as a PRIZE IDIOT!!!
Whats your nomination............

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Nominate a d***head

A maintenance job at a hotel in Newcastle, behind reception there was a bedroom in which there was a badly damaged socket outlet. Live terminals exposed so had to be replaced.This bedroom was on the same RFC as the recption area so I went out to tell her to turn off her PC as I was going to knock the juice off. "Oh we can't do that" she said "We need the PCs 24 hours a day" so I refused to do it on H&S grounds and threatened to issue a danger notice which would shut (at the very least) that bedroom down, this was on a Friday afternoon by the way with the hotel fully booked for that weekend.So in walks the owners who were a former nurse and a former doctor, fine I thought being medically trained they will see the sense and tell this old harridan to stop being stupid...no such luck. They said "Why can't you just work live"I replied "Tell you what I'll lend you my tools and stand behind you and tell you what to do" needless to say they wern't up for that and said "Don't worry we know a proper electrician who will come and do it.Ten minutes later in walks a total scruff with a set of non insulated drivers from a shed who, as predicted changed the socket live, was paid in cash no testing no certs.I therefore nominate all the people in this sorry tale excluding myself of course.As a footnote, after discovering some other nightmares I sent an email to the local fire brigade who threatened to shut the hotel down unless a programme of major remedial works was carried out

the guy who used to work for these letting agents we do work for.....always turnin up into peoples houses gassed up....i saw some trunking he`d put up...never seen a level and the mitres were crap n all...in fact it had half fallen off because he hadn`t fixed it right......my boss ----ed a PIR of his n all into my lap for me to have a look at....lol.......there was like all these 1s n 2s on it and when we got there...guess what..nowt up....yes, older edition stuff but so what....it was still good for continued service....this is just a few things of the top of my head here....there was allsorts this turnip had done..lol...d***head!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BG sparky who condemned a 16th edition TT installation when there was nothing wrong with it and he said he hadnt seen a main switch like that before it was a 100amp/100ma time delay.

I once had an apprentice who was colour blind.....honestly but the idiot i would nominate is the one who let him pass his colour blind test. After getting a severe shock due to something he did he was taken off the tools and made a manager!

Be nice just for a change for one spark to be paying a compliment to anothers work, seems to me its always doom and gloom
Quite agree that compliments are nicer, but by flagging up stupidity, there is a small chance that others can learn if need be. And to be honest, judging by some of the questions i've seen posed on here, i think there are some who do need to learn! Admittedly a small number but all the same.

I once had an apprentice who was colour blind.....honestly but the idiot i would nominate is the one who let him pass his colour blind test. After getting a severe shock due to something he did he was taken off the tools and made a manager!

The supervisor at the electrical engineers where i served my apprenticeship was colour blind. Watched him put a plug on a soldering iron, plug it in and come back to use it ten minutes later to find it was still cold. He got a bit of a belt when he had it in one hand and gave the plug (in a metalclad socket) a tap with the side of his hand.
He swore a lot and threw the iron away. I opened the plug and found he had crossed live and earth!

Reply to Nominate an idiot in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock