Discuss Old cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

WDFY

Hi

Just been to quote for fitting a new bathroom and noticed there is an old 2.5mm shower cable where the shower was, what is the safest way to terminate the wire?

I'm not an electrician so not sure can I legally remove the wire, is there an acceptable means of isolating it (junction box??)

Thanks

CG

Safest way would be to call in a spark:p

Do you know if the cable is live? Disconnecting it and removing it from service would be the safest way. Is there a pullcord or switch for the shower?

There was a pull core on the ceiling, I tested it and its not live even when the switch is pulled, looks like the fuse was removed

This job will be done safely and properly within an hour i would guess,so wont cost a lot, don'
t mess around with bathroom electrics, get a qualified professional in to ensure its left 100% safe.

In theory yes you can terminate it in a junction box but I think you need to get a professional opinion. 2.5mm cable should not be used near a shower and if it has been the cable will need inspecting and testing to ensure it is safe to be left connected to the consumer unit.

Thanks guys, I have an aversion to all things electric, prefer to leave it to the proffesionals so happy to get someone in, if had been as simple as putting cable into a heavy duty junction box I could have done that and tiled over it.

Customer may not be happy with the extra £'s but hey ho.

Might have been one of those noisy, pumped showers, in which case 2.5mm2 may have been fine but its all cobblers anyway as its going

well personally i dont like the idea that it can be joint boxed and plastered into the wall...tiled over...whatever as if it is a case of the fuse having been removed it could happen that the supply is inadvertantly reinstated in the future by an unsuspecting homeowner....this cable should be removed from the location properly and either disconnected at a joint (if spurred)....or disconnected at the C/U (if a dedicated radial)......

Get a registered spark to remove the cable(s) completely. Post your location if you would like a local member to help you.

Thanks for advice, spoke to a sparky who is a friend of a friend he is going to do it for £75, customer is happy with that price so win win.

i'd quote £50 as long as it wasn't more than 10 miles each way travel.

I thought we were supposed to complain that people don't pay enough, not the other way around? :lol:tearsofjoy:75 doesn't sound cheap but then it doesn't sound like a rip off either. it might take an hour to find the other end of that cable!

true. £75 not excessive. difficult to estimate time/cost without actually seeing the job. esp. if the site is dine sithe.

Thanks for advice, spoke to a sparky who is a friend of a friend he is going to do it for £75, customer is happy with that price so win win.

Its very refreshing to see someone come in and ask a question, then not get arsy when the best advice is given. Good on yer mate.

Cheers.........Howard

Reply to Old cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock