Discuss Open Neutral Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Anytime I try to post any details and describe the issue it gives me an error saying "Oops! We ran into some problems.
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator."

Not attaching any images or links or anything.

I was going to open what col89 sent but i did not want to open in case it was a spam.
Generally, opening attachments, especially PDF's, from unknown sources (and members) can be bad. Adobe don't have the best security measures. That's why we don't see Flash files on websites anymore.

But in this case, they're genuine as far as I can tell. :)

Our new anti-spam tools are stopping them from adding styling (bullet points) to their text, from what I can tell so far. Not 100% sure.

Test, 5th message
[automerge]1567366145[/automerge]
Hi, I'm hoping to get a bit of advice on an open neutral problem I'm having in my house. Below is a short summary of the issue:
  • Was painting my master bedroom and updating the outlets from the dreary almond color to newer white ones.
  • House was built in 1986. Wiring is okay, but not done super well. Many outlets have multiple hots & neutrals inserted in the back clips of the old outlets instead of pig tailed together and screwed in.
  • After replacing the last outlet in the bedroom and going to test them, I found I was not getting power to any of the outlets in the room. Used an outlet tester and found I was having an open neutral problem.
  • Worked on attempting to trace the problem and what was going on. After a few days of working on it off and on, I started trying to trace the full circuit. Initially I thought the circuit only covered the master bedroom, but found that 2 outlets and 1 switch in the bedroom next to the master was on the same circuit.
  • Found the outlet closest to the circuit breaker on the circuit, and used the outlet tester and it is working fine. Next in line downstream is a light switch that is connected to the second outlet in the other bedroom. At that point is where the open neutral is showing.
  • I have replaced the first outlet on the circuit with a newer one, I have the 3 hots screwed in, took the 3 neutrals and pig tailed them together and have it screwed in, and is grounded. Still getting an open neutral on the switch and 2nd outlet in the other room.
What could the issue be? Is it possible the neutral wire is bad? That seems unlikely. What is odd, is all I was doing was replacing the outlets in the master bedroom, but somehow the open neutral has come up in the room next to the master even though I had done nothing in that room at all. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The outlet tester is showing an open neutral on the outlet. Showing that the first one is operating correctly. Tested by pluggin in a fan, and only works on the first outlet. Also, I just ran a new hot & neutral wire from the first outlet to the second, and with that running, as well as the original wire to the two it's working now. Not pretty, but it's working.

I think you need to get the power switched off and do some basic continuity testing here.

Test, 5th message
[automerge]1567366145[/automerge]
Hi, I'm hoping to get a bit of advice on an open neutral problem I'm having in my house. Below is a short summary of the issue:
  • Was painting my master bedroom and updating the outlets from the dreary almond color to newer white ones.
  • House was built in 1986. Wiring is okay, but not done super well. Many outlets have multiple hots & neutrals inserted in the back clips of the old outlets instead of pig tailed together and screwed in.
  • After replacing the last outlet in the bedroom and going to test them, I found I was not getting power to any of the outlets in the room. Used an outlet tester and found I was having an open neutral problem.
  • Worked on attempting to trace the problem and what was going on. After a few days of working on it off and on, I started trying to trace the full circuit. Initially I thought the circuit only covered the master bedroom, but found that 2 outlets and 1 switch in the bedroom next to the master was on the same circuit.
  • Found the outlet closest to the circuit breaker on the circuit, and used the outlet tester and it is working fine. Next in line downstream is a light switch that is connected to the second outlet in the other bedroom. At that point is where the open neutral is showing.
  • I have replaced the first outlet on the circuit with a newer one, I have the 3 hots screwed in, took the 3 neutrals and pig tailed them together and have it screwed in, and is grounded. Still getting an open neutral on the switch and 2nd outlet in the other room.
What could the issue be? Is it possible the neutral wire is bad? That seems unlikely. What is odd, is all I was doing was replacing the outlets in the master bedroom, but somehow the open neutral has come up in the room next to the master even though I had done nothing in that room at all. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Are you an electrician Colorado
[automerge]1567367876[/automerge]
Do you think you got the polarity crossed when you changed other outlets?

[automerge]1567367876[/automerge]

Do you think you got the polarity crossed when you changed other outlets?

I am not an electrician. I do have experience with this and running basic outlets, wiring, etc. from the Army.

Polarity isn't crossed. Somehow the problem originated upstream from the outlets I was working on. I now have a "jumper" cable hooked up between outlet 1 & 2, as well as the original wiring hooked up as normal and it works now through the whole circuit.

I am not an electrician. I do have experience with this and running basic outlets, wiring, etc. from the Army.

Polarity isn't crossed. Somehow the problem originated upstream from the outlets I was working on. I now have a "jumper" cable hooked up between outlet 1 & 2, as well as the original wiring hooked up as normal and it works now through the whole circuit.
You made the statement that you twisted all the whites and pigtailed it to what
[automerge]1567369951[/automerge]
You made the statement that you twisted all the whites and pigtailed it to what
Colorado is it possible that you have your switch leg crossed ?

Last edited:

Reply to Open Neutral Issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock