• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Our favourite handy man got me thinking ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

Regular EF Member
on this short video he adds a fan and sensor

But did he really need to go to all the fuss of adding an rcd to the existing circuit

Thoughts ?

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Yes. No one should be adding new circuits without rcd
He is altering an existing circuit to be pedantic.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Not watched all the vid, but doesn’t the reg for low voltage circuits serving special location apply, requiring additional protection?

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
Pebble dash/render on the outside of the house means it's council/ex council he should be dealing with a better type of clientele. ;o)))

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Pebble dash/render on the outside of the house means it's council/ex council he should be dealing with a better type of clientele. ;o)))
I have deleted my initial response, don't want to reap the wrath of the Mods by saying what I really think of SWD's reply. If it was in jest, them it was in poor taste, in my opinion.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
I have deleted my initial response, don't want to reap the wrath of the Mods by saying what I really think of SWD's reply. If it was in jest, them it was in poor taste, in my opinion.
most of SWD's posts are in bad taste, but then he's not a Scouser, is he?

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
At least I didn't mention stone cladding a bungalow and a garden like in Coronation Street.......:eek::D:D

magnoliafan89

Regular EF Member
Surely any alteration to a circuit such as lights or in a special location that doesn't have rcd protection requires you to add rcd protection? Like if you add a shower you then have to make sure the lights are rcd protected?

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.