Discuss Part P Conformation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

richardhammond

hi all,

This maybe be a stupid question, but im just getting my head round all the paperwork with part p, i have been pat testing for a few years now while i have been at college (few years to go still) can i do electrical work such as moving sockets, replacing sockets and lights etc, without being part p registered?

Yes and No, you need to have a look at one of the scheme providers websites to find out what you can and cant do. Or download "approved document P". you can do what you like unless it is in a special location, then you can still do what you like but there are rules, and costs involved, far too much to go into on here.

Cheers,,,,,,,,,,Howard

Technically you can conduct any electrical work, without being Part P registered.
Part P requires that some domestic electrical work be notified, such work would be the replacement of a consumer unit, the installation of a new circuit, the adition or alteration of a circuit in a special location (as defined under Part P). The replacement of equipment, even if the equipment is in a special location, is not notifiable.
Notifcation can be by either pre-notification to the LABC, or by employing a Part P registered tradesman, who will notify through their scheme provider.

hi all,

This maybe be a stupid question, but im just getting my head round all the paperwork with part p, i have been pat testing for a few years now while i have been at college (few years to go still) can i do electrical work such as moving sockets, replacing sockets and lights etc, without being part p registered?

Download this document it will give you an idea of what is required and what is notifiable and what is not.
If you go to the host site you can download all the building regs as there are others that impact on electrical work in general.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

i think without checking your only allowed to swap on a "like for like" basis and thats it.Anything else requires a minor works cert,for example moving a socket may need the circuit extending."Replacing" a light may mean changing from a 60w pendant to 4x50w halogens.Correct me if im wrong tho guys.
ive got the understanding that to carry out any more than "like for like" you need to have part p defined scope to carry out non notifiable work?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think without checking your only allowed to swap on a "like for like" basis and thats it.Anything else requires a minor works cert,for example moving a socket may need the circuit extending."Replacing" a light may mean changing from a 60w pendant to 4x50w halogens.Correct me if im wrong tho guys.
ive got the understanding that to carry out any more than "like for like" you need to have part p defined scope to carry out non notifiable work?
The term 'like for like' is not used anywhere in the Approved Document or BS7671.

Table 1 Work that need not be notified to building control bodies
Work consisting of:
Replacing any fixed electrical equipment (for example, socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses) which does not include the
provision of any new fixed cabling
Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (a)
Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (b)
Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations
(c)
Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (d)
Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (e) and consists of:
Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (f)
Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (f)

agreed,you can carry all of the above out without notifying but do you not need to have part p defined scope to show the work has been carried it out within the building regs? It also has to be tested and an minor works certificate has to be issued, Im not having an arguement here but ive just completed my defined scope and this is what i was led to believe?

agreed,you can carry all of the above out without notifying but do you not need to have part p defined scope to show the work has been carried it out within the building regs? It also has to be tested and an minor works certificate has to be issued, Im not having an arguement here but ive just completed my defined scope as this is what i was led to believe?

Part P (either defined or full scope) schemes are there to provide a method of meeting the requirements for notifying building control. They have no other purpose. If you are completing electrical work that does not require notification to building control then Part P registration does not come into the equation.

However all electrical work (whether notifiable or not) does need to meet or exceed the requirements of BS7671, this is where issuing minor works or electrical installation certificates is required, confirming compliance with BS7671 (immaterial of the building regulations).

Ok thanks for clearing that up.When i completed my defined scope I was told that i needed to register with a competent persons scheme to undertake minor work/or work within defined scope of part p.I never bothered as it would seem like a waste of money as im hoping to complete my full scope pretty soon.
I learn more on here than at collage!
So just to clarify,the original question "can i do electrical work such as moving sockets, replacing sockets and lights etc, without being part p registered?" ....the answer is yes,providing a minor works cert is issued where needed to comply with 7671?
My confusion came with the "moving sockets".Surely this could involve notching/drilling joists and/or chasing walls ect? i was under the impression you needed at least defined scope to show you can competently carry out the work within the building regs.
Thanks again guys

So just to clarify,the original question "can i do electrical work such as moving sockets, replacing sockets and lights etc, without being part p registered?" ....the answer is yes,providing a minor works cert is issued where needed to comply with 7671? Yes: so long as the work is not notifiable or you notify building control in advance and pay the fee.
My confusion came with the "moving sockets".Surely this could involve notching/drilling joists and/or chasing walls ect? i was under the impression you needed at least defined scope to show you can competently carry out the work within the building regs.
Thanks again guys

Electrical work needs to comply with all the building regulations (and how you do this is up to you) however not all electrical work needs to be notified to building control. The Part P schemes are there to allow you to notify work only.
Part P of the Building Regulations (not a Part P scheme) specifies the electrical installation requirements required by the Building Regulations, however the other parts of the building regulations (A, C, F, L, M etc.) have other requirements that may impinge on an electrical installation and must be complied with as well.

If you are chasing walls to move / add sockets then you need to comply with the requirements for safe zones, depth of chases, fire protection, sealing, sound and moisture penetration, etc. but you do not need to notify the work (if it is not in a special location) and so would not need to to be registered with a self certification scheme.

Again,thanks for taking your time to clear that one up,i cant imagine unqualified people taking into account 7671 or the building regs when carrying out non notifiable work,and its scary to think! Especially with no way of policing it and knowing its even been done....well not until a serious problem arises.

the most annoying thing is that ive recently fitted an alarm im my house,i was pretty shocked to see what the gas fitters/plumbers had done to my joists whilst fitting the central heating!.How come is only the electric side they've applied it to?

Reply to Part P Conformation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net