Discuss Part P confusion in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

simonatlondon

Hi all,

first of all, I want to say hello and what a great site this is. I can see everyone is so helpful that come on here.

secondly my question...

I am aiming to become fully fledged sparky, with the niceic. What i know so far is that I need the wiring regs ( which I have 2382 ), 2391 insp and test and part P. Is the part P just another exam that I need to pass in order to be a competent person then the niceic will then come and inspect my work? Or can i be part of the niceic without doing passing a part P exam and they asses my competency by looking at my work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and im sorry this topic has probably been covered before.

Ok Simon, you would have to expand on what you mean by 'fully fledged sparks':confused:

What electrical quals apart from your 2382 do you have?

and do you intend joining uinder the Approved Contractor scheme or the Domestic Installer scheme?

as an approved contractor, you will need a level 3 installation qual (such as 2330)

if joining as a domestic installer, you can join with the EAL Domestic Electrical Installer qual and your 2382 (for both schemes it is advantages to have 2391)

There is no such thing as a Part P qualifiaction; Part P is just one of a series of building Regulations.

However, if you are joining as a Domestic installer, you will need an appropriate electrical qual, and KNOWLEDGE of the appropriate building regs. The EAL course serves both purposes (and many people call it a Part P qual)

if you already have an electrical qual, you can just prove you have building regs knowledge, or (even better) get a building regs qual such as Unit 001 of the EAL course (Applicable Building Regs for Electrical Installations) or C&G 2393, which is their building regs qual

hope this has cleared it up - if you want more info, list the quals you have, and which scheme you intend to join;)

Hi Shakey

I have the 2382 17th ed. Im currently studying for the 2391 part 1.

I guess what i must know now is, the difference between approved contractor status and the domestic installer scheme. I want to run my own business, doing complete domestic rewires, repairs, modifications, alterations and periodics. I am aiming at the domestic market.

I am going to get my 2391 when im ready anyway, perhaps in a few months.

Which scheme should I go for and how do I go about doing that?

Cheers Shakey.

ok, you need to join the Domestic Installer scheme

and you need to get an electrical installation qualification!

the EAL domestic installer course will serve you fine, and will satisfy the building regs requirement

interesting to here how you are going to 'get' 2391, with the pass rate currently running at 33%:p

best of luck!;)

Reply to Part P confusion in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net