Discuss Partial power outage in apartment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum, and I'm hoping my question won't be too stupid. I'm in NYC (Manhattan), and have an apartment where a new tenant moved in 2 weeks ago, but didn't complete the transfer of the ConEd account. They cut the electricity to the apartment yesterday, when the prior tenant closed their account. Yesterday, (after wondering if it was an issue with the apt's/building's wiring) we called ConEd, and they restored the service after the tenant completed the account transfer.

The problem is that when the electricity came back, only about two thirds of the apartment lit up. Everything had been fine before the service shutdown. The breakers box has 4 breakers, and the circuit on one of them is not getting any power. I replaced the breaker to make sure, but still no power. The building also has a fuser box in the basement, and each apartment has two fusers in there. Both fusers for this unit are good.

We called ConEd again to see if there was some sort of issue with the way they restored the service, but they said there was nothing on their end. They said the smart meter was pulling full power. I made them resend the activation signal, but that didn't change anything.

What could be going on that only partial power came back? What am I missing?

Truly appreciative of any help you can offer. Thank you!

I think this is best solved by getting an electrician in to sort it. they will be able to test the installation and find where the fault is located.
hopefully this should take less than an hour. (to locate the fault)

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum, and I'm hoping my question won't be too stupid. I'm in NYC (Manhattan), and have an apartment where a new tenant moved in 2 weeks ago, but didn't complete the transfer of the ConEd account. They cut the electricity to the apartment yesterday, when the prior tenant closed their account. Yesterday, (after wondering if it was an issue with the apt's/building's wiring) we called ConEd, and they restored the service after the tenant completed the account transfer.

The problem is that when the electricity came back, only about two thirds of the apartment lit up. Everything had been fine before the service shutdown. The breakers box has 4 breakers, and the circuit on one of them is not getting any power. I replaced the breaker to make sure, but still no power. The building also has a fuser box in the basement, and each apartment has two fusers in there. Both fusers for this unit are good.

We called ConEd again to see if there was some sort of issue with the way they restored the service, but they said there was nothing on their end. They said the smart meter was pulling full power. I made them resend the activation signal, but that didn't change anything.

It's possible that either the remote disconnection or re-connection has caused a GFCI device to trip off.

Hi everyone,

I would have to agree with @James to hire an electrician to measure the voltage coming in to the panel. If you have 240vac phase to phase then you are getting sufficient power. If not then your problem is in the basement. Since you changed the breaker did you notice any discoloration on the lug the the breaker attaches to? Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Welcome to the forum.

Reply to Partial power outage in apartment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net