Discuss Phone next to pool? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Guys, I'm desperate for your help and ready to rip my face off.

So here's the situation: one of my co-workers is tasked with installing a phone in a weatherproof box next to the owner's pool. It's a residence, and the exterior wall of the residence is 8 feet from the pool. There is no other wall near the pool.

I know that weatherproof receptacles can be no closer that six feet from the edge of a pool, but I can't find any code for phones or phone boxes!

Please help!!

~Matt

Sorry for not specifying, I'm working at a US facility that is trying very hard to work to US National Electrical Code standards. The building is fearsomely old, so they are trying to comply with new construction.

No problem, the new location system <<see the flags and descriptions under user names. Seems to base off IP location and a typed location.

I will take a look for you. However, I believe that phone systems do not fall under New York electrical code.

Not entirly sure, but I don't think phone systems come under the British wiring standards BS7671.

No problem, the new location system <<see the flags and descriptions under user names. Seems to base off IP location and a typed location.

I will take a look for you. However, I believe that phone systems do not fall under New York electrical code.

Not entirly sure, but I don't think phone systems come under the British wiring standards BS7671.

Oh my goodness, that would be fantastic, thank you!

BS6701 Telecommunications equipment and telecommunications cabling. Specification for installation, operation and maintenance. Which basically says refer to BS7671... :rolleyes:

As most UK telecoms run at -48VDC then they are not suitable for Zone 0 & 1 but are OK in zone 2 (being more than 2.0m from the edge of the pool). I know this doesn't help you but it may help others with a similar question. 702.4.

BS6701 Telecommunications equipment and telecommunications cabling. Specification for installation, operation and maintenance. Which basically says refer to BS7671... :rolleyes:

As most UK telecoms run at -48VDC then they are not suitable for Zone 0 & 1 but are OK in zone 2 (being more than 2.0m from the edge of the pool). I know this doesn't help you but it may help others with a similar question. 702.4.

Hey brother, any help is appreciated!

I can't find anything in the electrical codes I have on my PC that say this is not allowed.

Especially as it is 8' away and classed as ELV.

However, I'm sure you know. It varies state to state, an I am not sure if you have a governing standard specificly for telecoms.

I can't find anything in the electrical codes I have on my PC that say this is not allowed.

Especially as it is 8' away and classed as ELV.

However, I'm sure you know. It varies state to state, an I am not sure if you have a governing standard specificly for telecoms.

Thanks for the help, Rob! The good news is that, because we are not actually in a US state, the NEC is the governing body and we don't need to worry about any state silliness. I'll tell the telecom boys, and oversee the installation work myself.

Thanks again!!

The charger could be plugged in inside, and the cradle installed in the outside box, so no mains in there?
instal a cordless phone
Wouldn’t that need mains voltage to keep it charged?

Better having one stuck to the wall with a really short wire..... so no one can get back in the pool while still on the phone

The telecom office had the same thought of folks getting back into the pool with a cordless phone; we always assume people are idiots and will act in their worst interests. It's depressing how often we are correct in that assumption. I told them to find the shortest cord they could find.

Taking a battery powered cordless phone into water with you will cause no issue to health.

Taking one in with the charger plugged in still shouldn't, the issue arises taking phones (mobiles/cells) on charge is when the charger is not built to correct specifications and isolated from mains voltage properly.

Reply to Phone next to pool? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock