Discuss please help me choose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zebdog

-
Reaction score
i have had two electricians quote for work.

it is to install power to shed which is 5 meters away from house, and power is needed for chest freezer , tumble dryer two other sockets for diy tools, and one 5ft strip light.

first electrician says take twin core and earth from socket to outside wall put a weatherproof socket and from that 6mm swa to shed and into metal double socket and from there to other double socket and via fused switch to light.

second one says take 6mm swa from plug socket to shed to a garage consumer unit then to two double sockets and to light

which is the way to do it?

Neither of them really sounds the best. Either option is going to require a '2 core and earth cable' to a box/isolation point where the SWA can be glanded into. The size of the '2core and earth' cable used to do this is the deciding factor on how much current the shed can draw. I'm assuming the internal socket in question is on the ring (2 cables terminated inside) and it can be hard enough to get a 3rd 2.5mm cable inside the terminals let alone bigger. So no point in 6mm SWA as cant utilise it properly. And this 2.5mm '2 core and earth' wont be enough to power all your items in my opinion. Best bet is a completely new circuit. Where is your meter box? If semi close ask an electrician to quote a new submain from there if the fusebox is too far/messy.

Hello Kate, not seen you hereabouts for a while. hope all is good,

Regards.

Im good! Just been busy. Work is super busy. Got enough comfortably for rest of the year, let alone any new stuff that comes in :) and I got a puppy!!!
I love my puppy. She is amazing!!
How have you been?

Zebdog - which bit of Somerset are you? I can gladly lend you another opinion if you'd like.

I have a job to do in Kilve as soon as I can get to schedule it in so could easily do the extra couple of miles to you. PM me if you want to discuss.

i have had two electricians quote for work.

it is to install power to shed which is 5 meters away from house, and power is needed for chest freezer , tumble dryer two other sockets for diy tools, and one 5ft strip light.

first electrician says take twin core and earth from socket to outside wall put a weatherproof socket and from that 6mm swa to shed and into metal double socket and from there to other double socket and via fused switch to light.

second one says take 6mm swa from plug socket to shed to a garage consumer unit then to two double sockets and to light

which is the way to do it?

I'm not convinced a professional electrician offered either of those two options as the best solution. Thread closed. If you'd like to convince me otherwise and have the thread reopened please PM me.

Reply to please help me choose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net