Discuss Poor Zs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Don't go down the TT route as you say the supply is at 400A I am guessing that it is some sort of factory with lots of machinery and associated equipment.
If an RCD trips you can import lots of hazards.
If the ZS value is high work out the R1 + R2 values from manufactures data add them to the ZE to determin if you do have a fault. if there is a fault repair it. If it is a case of a faulty joint on the SWA is that is due to poor workmanship. Check the resistance of all conductors from manufactures data. You can also check all conductors have the same resistance. Any odd readings may suggest that the line conductor joints may fail. You may have to remake the joints
If you are happy with the line conductors your customer may have to take the hit and excavate the cable and lay a new earthing conductor.

Asyou say the PIR 5 years ago was OK this may be a developing fault that you have found and not a cover up by the first contractor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I dare say a test rod or two is the next logical step. The company that originally installed it has since went bust(no wonder) but there rotten work lives on. Was PIR'd 5 years ago and passed by them. Getting the test sheets in the next couple of days so will be interesting to see what nonsense has been written down. The maintenance guy that looked after the mill previously that did the joints wan't up to much either by the sounds of it

Think your going to need more than just a couple of rods to get anywhere near the Ra value you'll be looking for. You'll be lucky with two or three rod positions, each with at least a couple of 2.4m 5/8'' rods....

You really need to do a cost assessment as to what is going to be your best way forward. Personally i would go for running in a separate 150mm CPC, though that would still mean excavation of the original trench to a suitable depth....

I am fully aware a couple of rods would not suffice thats why i said test rods to determine if it would be worthwile going down that road. Will most likely bite the bullet and run in new earth. Just tryin to explain to mill manager that 0.05 ohms = well over £1500 isnt good lol

Don't go down the TT route as you say the supply is at 400A I am guessing that it is some sort of factory with lots of machinery and associated equipment.
If an RCD trips you can import lots of hazards.
If the ZS value is high work out the R1 + R2 values from manufactures data add them to the ZE to determin if you do have a fault. if there is a fault repair it. If it is a case of a faulty joint on the SWA is that is due to poor workmanship. Check the resistance of all conductors from manufactures data. You can also check all conductors have the same resistance. Any odd readings may suggest that the line conductor joints may fail. You may have to remake the joints
If you are happy with the line conductors your customer may have to take the hit and excavate the cable and lay a new earthing conductor.

Asyou say the PIR 5 yso was OK this may be a developing fault that you have found and not a cover up by the first contractor.
Fair point about cover up but from what I have heard there testing from elswhere on the site has been done by a young guy witg not much of a clue. Getting a look at sheets in next couple of days and doing some tests shortly too so will know the situation soon enough

I am fully aware a couple of rods would not suffice thats why i said test rods to determine if it would be worthwile going down that road. Will most likely bite the bullet and run in new earth. Just tryin to explain to mill manager that 0.05 ohms = well over £1500 isnt good lol

What is the purpose of the supply you are testing. I guess it is industrial, can you give a little more info.

Supply comes off of main board for sawmill. Right next to tranny. This feeds 3 boards in 3 buildings on a daisy chain. As in one board feeding another, feeding another. The Zs's are no good on the other boards aswell but obviously have to sort out first in line before i can do anything about next ones

Supply comes off of main board for sawmill. Right next to tranny. This feeds 3 boards in 3 buildings on a daisy chain. As in one board feeding another, feeding another. The Zs's are no good on the other boards aswell but obviously have to sort out first in line before i can do anything about next ones
If the first leg was an at an acceptable ZS would the other legs be acceptable. Taking into account the drop of resistance in the first subtraced this from the other legs.

You are quite within your rights to use manufacturers data for maximum Zs values rather than the often much lower values tabulated in BS7671.

Also remember that with a site transformer in very close proximity, your Zs readings will be affected by the very low impedance and inductive reactance and that most earth fault loop impedance testers are only designed for circuits rated at around 50 Amps.

Not sure will find out soon enough
The reason I ask is that if it won't your efforts may be a waste of time if the installation was of a poor design and a EIC cover up.
Not sure if I would want a saw mill on an RCD
if the repairs will not address the loops on the other distribution boards one answer may be to re supply them from the main supply point. Not cheap but is one answer to the problem.

Reply to Poor Zs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock