Discuss Probably not interesting for most, but it is for me. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone help? trying to get information on RAF Colerne during the 1970s, specifically the DOE/PSA Members, please help if you can.

My great Uncle was based there in the late 60s / early 70s sadly he has passed away @Pete999. I often do work in Colerne.
Without checking I believe it is now mainly used by cadets and university air squadrons. the barrack part is Royal Signals.

My great Uncle was based there in the late 60s / early 70s sadly he has passed away @Pete999. I often do work in Colerne.
Without checking I believe it is now mainly used by cadets and university air squadrons. the barrack part is Royal Signals.
Any chance you could esquire about photos from the 70s?

My dad was RAF from 52-68, but not sure where he was based, I know he was used as an extra in Bridge on the River Kwai, so was wherever that was filmed, and he was out in Kenya too , I think he may have been at Cosford, or maybe I’m confusing that with my brother. But think they may have both been there.

It’s now home to 21 Signal Regiment, No longer supporting RAF. Not a place that many aspire to be posted to anymore unfortunately.
The airfield proper is seperate from the barracks. Only raf there now is cadets and graduate cadets from unis. No main squadrons.
@Pete999 i shall ask my great aunt about photos. He used to talk about transport planes and flying into colerne as it was used for training. Not sure which type though

The airfield proper is seperate from the barracks. Only raf there now is cadets and graduate cadets from unis. No main squadrons.
@Pete999 i shall ask my great aunt about photos. He used to talk about transport planes and flying into colerne as it was used for training. Not sure which type though
I was there when the C130 crashed ijnto the woods at the end of the runway 25, I'm more interested in the original buildigs from the 70s The DWO (PSA District Works Office), officer's, Sergeant's Messes which I rewired, and the small building which served as my workshop, I'm a sentimental sort and it saddens me to see it all gone. It was Hastings, then Herky Birds (C130s) during my time there, oh and a University Squadron of Chipmonks, the museum was up and going and I recall when the test aircraft for what became Concord flew in, happy days, a very good environment to transit from contracting to maintenance, less Money, but wouldn't have been able to do what I have done if I hadn't gone to work there, message to those who think Money is the B all and end all of things, well that's what I think anyway.

Probably not interesting for most, but it is for me. Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 12.29.58 - EletriciansForums.net

I was there when the C130 crashed ijnto the woods at the end of the runway 25, I'm more interested in the original buildigs from the 70s The DWO (PSA District Works Office), officer's, Sergeant's Messes which I rewired, and the small building which served as my workshop, I'm a sentimental sort and it saddens me to see it all gone. It was Hastings, then Herky Birds (C130s) during my time there, oh and a University Squadron of Chipmonks, the museum was up and going and I recall when the test aircraft for what became Concord flew in, happy days, a very good environment to transit from contracting to maintenance, less Money, but wouldn't have been able to do what I have done if I hadn't gone to work there, message to those who think Money is the B all and end all of things, well that's what I think anyway.
@Pete999 My great uncle told me about that. he was based at another airfield (Lyneham rings a bell) but then got sent to Colerne working on the servicing of the transport aircraft. i shall ask my Great Aunt about the years and dates. If you are down this way it might pay you to contact the signals guys, you might be able to get yourself in to the airfield for a look about.

@Pete999 My great uncle told me about that. he was based at another airfield (Lyneham rings a bell) but then got sent to Colerne working on the servicing of the transport aircraft. i shall ask my Great Aunt about the years and dates. If you are down this way it might pay you to contact the signals guys, you might be able to get yourself in to the airfield for a look about.
Thanks Gavin I'll try that next time I'm in Sulis

Reply to Probably not interesting for most, but it is for me. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock