Discuss Pyro is...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I still have all the tools but alas no roller, will 2 pieces of wood and hammer count in the tool list I wonder :lipsrsealed2:

There was attempt at getting a shrink type pot to catch on,anyone remember those or even still have the hand held oven contraption for the shrinking ?

I still have all the tools but alas no roller, will 2 pieces of wood and hammer count in the tool list I wonder :lipsrsealed2:

There was attempt at getting a shrink type pot to catch on,anyone remember those or even still have the hand held oven contraption for the shrinking ?

Still got a roller but never used the shrink type. Didn't last long, like that crimp type gland/pot style. When that came out it was the way to go, for about 6 months, then back to the old method.
Remember the first spin strippers coming out ? Great 'till the cutter went blunt.
Then the Joistripper, really was/is a joy.

all my pyro gear is stuck in several carrier bags at the back of my work shop somewhere - underneath 10tonne of 'loose ends' i think lol.

Probably rat infested now, its been a while lol.

There seem to have been quite a few variations on the strippers over the years. The one where you had to fit a gland as a guide, the 3-hole 250V one, three sizes of Sheathmaster, ZSU and its little brother ZSUS, the Joistripper. And a few kinds of crimper too. Post pics of any early tools you've still got!

Great stuff, Chemical plants and industrial plants still insist on it, as Fp acts like a straw when it comes to sealing rooms. Come across it all the time in the fire industry. Young lads still wonder why i carry a candle in my tool bag.....well to all the post saying their joist strippers go blunt quickly, this is your answer...

Our company rules prohibited its use on plant. The sheath breaks down if there is any vibration. We did a short trial using it on 24V PX’s. To say it was a disaster would be an understatement. Within the first week two failed due to the sheath cracking.

That said both our site power stations control were wired in pyro. The control was installed by A Reyrolle when the switchgear was installed in the 30’s.

Damn good stuff,I got took on by a firm purely cause I could do pyro,the had a load of control cables to install all 5L1.5 great job they just stayed away and let me get on with it.still got my pyro tools in the shed.

Our company rules prohibited its use on plant. The sheath breaks down if there is any vibration. We did a short trial using it on 24V PX’s. To say it was a disaster would be an understatement. Within the first week two failed due to the sheath cracking.

That said both our site power stations control were wired in pyro. The control was installed by A Reyrolle when the switchgear was installed in the 30’s.
well it does state on the BGB that only a flex/fine stranded cable should be used on vibrating surfaces....
same for vehicles....trailers and the like...

I always thought the BICC handbook suggestion that where you had a motor on slide rails you could just make a little coil of cable to give it some freedom was a bit naive. When I was walking past the FD fan on a steam boiler that had a few turns of something like 3H2.5 attached to its terminal box, I couldn't resist giving it a little twang. It had work-hardened so much it didn't budge at all, it was like glass and I am sure it would have split at the gland if moved. And yet they used MI in ships engine rooms.

I, like a lot of others on here have installed a lot of pyro in various places.

Has anyone here ever installed almic, or alcumic. It
was brought out in the seventies during a copper shortage. As the name suggests the almic was aluminium cores and aluminium sheath, Alcumic was copper cores and aluminium sheath. It was the devil himself who invented it.
It almost put me off pyro for life.
Stripping it was a nightmare and when you pulled on the aluminium cores to straighten them, invariably they snapped especially the 2L1.5.

When using normal pyro I seldom had an end go down. Not so using this aluminium stuff. Happy days.

My house as wired in it in 1950 all thats left is the lights and they still have an IR reading of >299 as long as you leave it alone lol

Has anyone here ever installed almic, or alcumic

It was before my time so I've never fitted it, although I would very much like to get hold of some samples. Coincidentally, there is this thread here: http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/80401-whats-box.html which seems to show aluminium-sheathed cable in smart black PVC oversheath. Nice looking stuff, I suppose in that size the al conductor is heavy enough to survive handling and make sound connections given the proper lugs.

Copperclad aluminium I have never handled at all either. All interesting bygones I need to search for...

Alcumic and almic tended to have grey outer covering. Possibly to distinguish it from normal pyro.
I did a path lab in our local hospital with it, but it is long gone now so no chance of finding some there.

Everything wired in it at power station we're decommissioning, lovely stuff but will point out that the junction and switch boxes of the era are crap and shatter if you sneeze on them ;)

Would of loved to of worked with it (or done the job in the first place) but when you find the 4/6 core 6mm equivalents...must of been a nightmare. However, given the cost of it and now local batteries are much cheaper (and better really) it's use is going to be pretty limited

Pyro is great stuff installed loads when I was an apprentice on boiler houses for MOD seperates the men from the boys had to gland off lots of multicore cables once did a 19 core cable took two of us to put the pot on right with out it all touching they should be using it more for fire alarms as it lasts for ever, ive heard it is no longer in the AM2 test as its now an obsolete cable so think ehat you want of that, could never understand why orange was the standard colour although you could get red, white or black as a special

Pyro is great stuff installed loads when I was an apprentice on boiler houses for MOD seperates the men from the boys had to gland off lots of multicore cables once did a 19 core cable took two of us to put the pot on right with out it all touching they should be using it more for fire alarms as it lasts for ever, ive heard it is no longer in the AM2 test as its now an obsolete cable so think ehat you want of that, could never understand why orange was the standard colour although you could get red, white or black as a special

Who the hell comes up with these gems?? The AM2 Test is more obsolete than MICC cable!!

Orange is, ...or was the standard colour for electrical services....

Reply to Pyro is...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net