Discuss Railway Signal Restoration in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

TAUCDF

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. new here so forgive if this isn't in the right section.
I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice regarding a restoration for myself.

I should point out I haven't any electrical experience but I'm working with somebody who does have a good electrical understanding for DIY but not much experience with LED.

I have a 4 aspect colour light railway signal which I intend to restore. Currently it houses wiring and bits installed by Westinghouse quite a few years ago. It at somepoint between coming out of service with the railway & now has been modified to run on a site power tool transformer (to a 3 pin plug) system. The intention is to remove all the exisiting setup and start a fresh with a LED setup.

The type of bulb I thought would give good brightness (taking into account the signals lenses are large) would be the Phillips LED Globe G93 E27 as it has a large light (radius?) but I have no clue honestly. Each lens is 20CM round on the exterior. I'd also have to find a way to mount each bulb internally in the signals "compartment" but thats an issue for the drawing board if I get that far. To perhaps further complicate things I'd like to be able to individually control each of the 4 bulbs in the setup so as to switch them on and off at my own leisure. If the above is possible would it still need something the size of a small site transformer to run it or would it be able to be run from a household power socket?

I'm mainly looking for advice as to if such a thing exists and if not what my alternatives would be.

Thanks in advance. And sorry if I've left any info out. Noobie here!DSC_0742.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Railway Signal Restoration in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net