Search the forum,

Discuss Recieving shocks of the kitchen taps.???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I GOT A PHONE CALL THE OTHER DAY,FROM A LADY WHO SAYS SHE IS GETTING A BELT OF THE KITCHEN SINK,SHE TOLD ME SHE RANG HER INSURANCE COMPANY,WHO THEN SENT OUT A EMERGENCY ELECTRICAL COMPANY TO LOOK AT THE PROBLEM,WHEN HE GOT THERE HE SAID HE COULD FIND NO PROBLEMS WITH THE INSTALLATION,AND THAT IT MAY BE STATIC ELECTRICITY,AFTER HE LEFT SHE SAID SHE GOT ANOTHER SHOCK,AND HIS NOW REALLY WORRIED,I TOLD HER I WOULD COME ALONG AND HAVE A LOOK NEXT WEEK,IM THINKING NO EQUIPOTENTIAL BONDIND,NO SUPPLEMENTRY BONDING,NO EXTERNAL EARTH(Ze)KITCHEN RING CIRCUIT FAULT,.P.S SHE TOLD ME SHE AS THE OLD TYPE 3036 FUSES----NO CIRCUIT BREAKERS OR R.C.D.IN PLACE,THE HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1966,AND AS STILL GOT THE ORIGINAL WIRING.YOU VIEWS PLEASE.

check for what you have said. earthing and bonding. without seeing the installation, we'll all be guessing. it could possibly be static, but until you have checked it out, it's anybody's guess.

First of all its back to basics you need to check the Ze and the earth bonding to the pipework remember to ask the old "have you had any work done recently" and when they say do you mean electrical you say no anything why ask this well you may find that a plumber was in 14 months ago to fit a dishwasher andsort the pipework for the washing machine so he may have fitted some plastic pipe yes ? So check the basics first

I've had this problem before and it turned out to be no continuity on the CPC of the ring main in the kitchen. Do a quick end to end of all ring final conductors to see for sure.

If you get a shock or a 'tingle' from anything you're looking for two different faults, firstly there's poor insulation causing earth leakage somewhere and secondly there's a poor earth which is causing a higher than acceptable touch voltage.

I'm not buying into static in a kitchen, it's highly unlikely because kitchens aren't usually carpeted and the customer would also be getting static shocks from all the other appliances. Start testing earth bonding on the services and sink and IR on all the appliances.

Agree with all the earthing & bonding answers, for example whilst doing a report on 5 sub boards in a converted farm house one board had volts on the ring cpc the cause was indeed no earth on the board upstairs, and the main earth terminal/conductor was a bit of 4mm, a yellow ring terminal self tappered to the metal cu, the banjo union in none of the 5 boards tested were connected, so yes it can be a simple cure
Pict

I did a consumer unit in a flat the main earth was borderline so the customer told the guy downstairs but he did nothing about it. When the earth got fixed he ended up getting his earth sorted via the communial water metal water and gas pipes going through the flats hence no doubt why you disconnect the main earth to do the Ze. So in theory someone who loses an earth may never had one in the first place so here is a new terminology for you you have heard of a borrowed neutral well be aware of the borrowed earth and I may point out it is geting more common as I have said before on this forum I have seen a DNO fit a new head end and meter but "refused" to connect up the earth lead to the MET telling the customer to get an electrician to look at it they of course leave it until 5 years later your truly comes along

Last edited by a moderator:
A house my mother had was suffering the same problem: Definitely an IR test here as my mothers house had old vir in it which was totaly gone plus no earth bonding etc,the usual suspects in a 19th century house that hadn`t seen any modernisation....

I had a customer with this problem ,tingling and sometimes decent shocks from kitchen taps

sounds simple but check the incoming terminals, I was the 5th electrician to go to this job and no one could find the problem

turned out the incoming neutral was live with voltages ranging from 2/3 v upto 190v, he's chatting explaining how he's
been getting these shocks for 2 years! anyway had a look at the incomer noticed it looked newish, he explains that it was supplied overhead
but the Dno changed it to a cable for some reason or another and fitted a new transformer
so i ask him when they did it and turns out it was around 2 years ago so a quick phone call to the Dno and they had a man there in half an hour
he agreed it was a problem from the supply caused by the ''stays?'' being blown loose in the transformer by the wind ?
I don't know if this is a real fault or whether he was covering up a mistake ,but it was fixed within a day or two

Thanks for the replies but the thread is almost a year old so I doubt the OP will still be around, it was bumped to the top of the pile by a spam post :(

Reply to Recieving shocks of the kitchen taps.???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net