Discuss Roof still standing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thought process whilst drilling the hole;

It normally only takes a couple of seconds and it's through the plasterboard??
That seems a bit tough and I can smell wood???
I'll just carry on then!!
Don't normally have to chisel out all this wood????
Oh, looks like I've drilled a joist, I'll just leave the bits up on the ceiling and all the sawdust!!!!!!!!

That can't have been done by anyone with any sense.

Seen this done loads of times , often the joist is all black n scorched due to the heat from the halogen bulb touching it

I even have seen a joist completely chopped through just to make room for a down light

They knew full well what they were doing. It looks like it's been chiseled out from the attic - you can see the blocks of chiseled out wood.

Hmm strange, when I mentioned structural integrity being compromised when drilling or cutting joists in the wrong place a few weeks back, I had all sorts of "Don't be daft" answers saying it make little difference.

Hmm strange, when I mentioned structural integrity being compromised when drilling or cutting joists in the wrong place a few weeks back, I had all sorts of "Don't be daft" answers saying it make little difference.

That's because people were talking about drilling a circa 20mm hole for a cable, NOT chiseling out 90% of the joist!!
!!!

Obviously in this case it makes a big difference.

If I remember correctly it was a series of holes and anywhere on the span and anywhere on the joist, in the tension or compression zones that I questioned previously.

Absolutely, but it was the zones that worried me previously, seem that most had no idea that Structural Engineer's had something to do with it and would just put the holes where convenient for running the cable, whether mid span or not instead of keeping to the design zones and running down the side of the joist either side if a cable needed to get to the mid span position.

Doesn’t matter how big a chunk of wood has been removed here….. shove a red hot halogen up against the dry wood, and watch it smoulder!

I changed one a while ago, and although the 12v halogen wasn’t against the joist, the overheating transformer was…. Just a little bit scorched.
Insulation above, of course…. But the new 230v LED was ok…

Anyone having Faulty LED lamps heating up just as much as a halogen? To a point that you can’t touch it?

Reply to Roof still standing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock