Discuss Room Stat height in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

D80

What height do you folks mount Room Stats at?

The Hitler from Building Control NI has flagged one I have installed (1.5M) as being too high and wants it dropped to 1.2M to top of it:001_9898:. Never have had this as issue before and as far as I can recall manufacturers recommend around 1.5M!

I'd normally go about 1.5m but I hardly do any new build. I suppose you could claim that if a light switch has to be accessible to mini me then so does a stat but who knows. That building inspector sounds like a real fun guy.

Any instuctions come with the room stat stating what height it should be mounted at?

5ft. is the height i fit at. nice and easy for eye level,

What height do you folks mount Room Stats at?

The Hitler from Building Control NI has flagged one I have installed (1.5M) as being too high and wants it dropped to 1.2M to top of it:001_9898:. Never have had this as issue before and as far as I can recall manufacturers recommend around 1.5M!

Can he quote the regs that say that?

be good if the manufacturers instructions say 1500 ish. you could show it to him, shove it up his snooty nose.

I'd normally go about 1.5m but I hardly do any new build. I suppose you could claim that if a light switch has to be accessible to mini me then so does a stat but who knows. That building inspector sounds like a real fun guy.
Never came across him before nor has the builder. He's not making things easy!

Any instuctions come with the room stat stating what height it should be mounted at?
Will have to look at see which make I have fitted there, the only instructions I have to hand are from Salus and they say 1500mm

This old chestnut... 'M' regs verses common sense

It is not always appropriate to place a heat sensitive switch at waist level, often due to little fingers tweaking them as well as drafts etc....
Its different building regs in Northern Ireland which will complicate things a little as most here are England/Wales based. In general they are the same, just all jumbled up letters wise!

Nominal height for a room stat is 1500 mm as per instructions
Thanks, has been fitted as such, although need to confirm specific manufacturers instructions. Building control can be a bunch of idiots at times though so may have to lower the blooming thing to get them to pass it...which would make the job ok with building control but not BS 7671, insane!

so was i. just looked at my trusty dual fuel tape measure and see that 5ft. is as near as damn it 1500 milli munchkins.

Imagine if building control and the implementation of building regs was carried out by ex-builders instead of jumped up, brothel bred, little neo ---- jobsworths. The building game 'd be booming

Practically all thermostats I've ever fitted have said 1500 high so a bit contradicting when building regs say pretty much anything between 450 and 1200...always fitted them as per manu instructions :)

And if the say it has to be at 1200 then hit the ball back as that will increase the carbon foot print of the building as heat rises so it will take more heat and burn more fuel to switch off the stat !!!!

BC guy once told me I had to mechanically protect cables in stud work, div, these blokes like to think they know it all.

BC guy once told me I had to mechanically protect cables in stud work, div, these blokes like to think they know it all.
i had 1 last year insisting that cable drops needed capping on blockwork that was to be dry lined. another div.

Thanks all, I'll get the make of the stat fitted and get the manufacturers instructions for it to this hitler.

With regards to building control and logic it doesn't really go hand in hand does it. You get forced to take out that Pendant and 11W lamp and replace with Low Energy Pendant and 18W lamp in the name of energy saving! That 3-4W LED GU10 downlight out for an 11W dowlight, all in the name of energy saving!

Reply to Room Stat height in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock