Discuss Routing of cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I just popped over to the house opposite to look what was going on as its having a load of work done by the people who own it who are also a building firm.

They are converting the garage into a room.

The existing garage wall has the meter cupboard on the outside and the consumer unit on the inside near the top, nothing else on the wall apart from a gas pipe.

They have added a couple of sockets in on that side, and replaced the consumer unit with a din rail enclosure and extended all the circuits.

The circuits all all in 16x25 pvc trunking, they go down, then across as per the diagram, its now all be battoned on the wall and its about to be plasterboarded.

I didn't take a photo, but look at my picture (another top quality drawing) of the routing of the cables.

The junction box will be on show so thats ok, but the cables go down, then across, there's quite a lot of them, i would imagine at least 10 - 12 circuits if anything like my house.

They have also bought new meter tails up through the wall, and across the wall.

The cables supplying the sockets, they go down across and down again.

No regard to zones etc, my concern is the meter tails more than anything.

This is before the move of consumer unit, looking at the garage wall, this is the long side of the garage.

2015-03-21 19.44.54.jpg

This is it now

2015-03-21 19.44.45.jpg

Just to add if it wasn't clear, the tails are also behind the plasterboard with all the circuits, all bicy hidden away, I have to say it was extremely neT how it had been done, but that's not the point.

The battens were very thin ones, probably 25mm thick, no more than the trunking, it's then only got a sheet of board and skim, I just don't think it's great, it could have been done better as to avoid having a load of cables in an unsuspecting place.

If not it could get quite cold in that converted garage as most attached garages will only be a single brick construction on the outside walls!! lol!!

It is a double skin wall, maybe being insulated I don't know, even if they did end up more than 50mm, it's still a lot of cables ready for someone to drill in to to put a TV on the wall or the like.

Reply to Routing of cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net