Discuss Ryefield Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, we are installing 3 x 3 phase sub mains from a Ryefield Board in a new warehouse, can I connect the SWA’s feeding the sub mains directly to the Ryefield Board, or do I need to install isolators, then connect to the Ryefield Board. There is a cut out, meter and isolator before the Ryefield Board.

Hi, we are installing 3 x 3 phase sub mains from a Ryefield Board in a new warehouse, can I connect the SWA’s feeding the sub mains directly to the Ryefield Board, or do I need to install isolators, then connect to the Ryefield Board. There is a cut out, meter and isolator before the Ryefield Board.
What do the installation specs say

You need to provide a lockable switch to isolate in-between the ryefield and said supplies.

I think you have just answered your own question.
if that's what the customer has ordered, then that's what they get?

The point in question is mute.
It makes no difference what the regs say.

If the customer has asked for an isolator, then put one in.
Job completed to spec.
Customers happy, no issue with the invoice.

There is no point in arguing with the customer about what they want or need in this instance.

Job completed to spec.

There is no point in arguing with the customer about what they want or need in this instance.
The original question was do I need to install isolators, the customer has not asked for them, I want to know if I need to install isolators to comply with the regs.

The original question was do I need to install isolators, the customer has not asked for them, I want to know if I need to install isolators to comply with the regs.
Sorry, I saw forkenigmas post And thought it was you.
If there is a circuit breaker in the supply line, surely that can be switched off? That would be good enough for me.

No you don't need an isolator immediately after the fuseboard, if you did then they wouldn't sell many of those fuseboards or they would have isolators built in.
[automerge]1594845831[/automerge]
You need to provide a lockable switch to isolate in-between the ryefield and said supplies.

Why? Which regulation requires an isolator to be installed immediately after a distribution board?

Do you install isolators for every circuit next to a DB?

Really! So your going to isolate from the ryefield panel, by pulling fuses!
You

Job completed to spec.

So your happy to issue a non compliance certificate then?

You would advise the customer of that right?
[automerge]1594878242[/automerge]
Seems, some people just want to take the money.

Someone's moral compass is broken. :rolleyes:,,, lol

You

So your happy to issue a non compliance certificate then?

You would advise the customer of that right?
[automerge]1594878242[/automerge]
Seems, some people just want to take the money.

Someone's moral compass is broken. :rolleyes:,,, lol

Moral compass is intact and working correctly.
The obligation to provide a safe and complient installation must be followed, an isolator is likely to be fitted to the incoming cable on the new distribution board. (Often it is a big red switch)
If the customer asks for an isolator to be added to the supply at its point of origin than fit one, otherwise don’t.

Removing fuses is an accepted means of isolating a circuit.

Don’t tell me that it would be non compliant without backing it up with a reg number.

Removing a fuse is fine for isolation. It is not a way to disconnect under load!

Nobody (I hope) who is not a fully trained sparky is going to be pulling Ryefield board fuses, and if they do it would be after disconnecting the load(s) at the far end of the cable. If cautious (always a good policy here) they can use a clamp ammeter on the cable to check for no current first.

Removing a fuse is fine for isolation. It is not a way to disconnect under load!

Nobody (I hope) who is not a fully trained sparky is going to be pulling Ryefield board fuses, and if they do it would be after disconnecting the load(s) at the far end of the cable. If cautious (always a good policy here) they can use a clamp ammeter on the cable to check for no current first.
Agreed nobody I hope would pull 100amp/80amp fuses under load.

Agreed nobody I hope would pull 100amp/80amp fuses under load.
No, that is going to end very badly for someone..

And I mean very badly. Several months ago I was reading some USA report on arc-flash statistics/incidents and it covered some poor (untrained) guy who tried to fit a 30A replacement fuse in a hotel and died from his injuries. I guess it was inserted on to a live fault, and might have triggered other arcs, but one way or another it is a sobering lesson. At least a MCB can be closed on to a fault with not too much risk.

Reply to Ryefield Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock