Discuss Sad story in the news in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Terrible news. I remember a fair few years ago being asked to go to a hotel for something similar but the child suffered no ill effects. To decorate some rooms all accessories were removed to repaper the walls, upon refitting one was missed and the boy discovered a hollow behind the paper and he poked his fingers through to the live wires.

As I mention in the thread I started I have done work in some old hotels / b & b and the state of the wiring installs was really bad. I am amazed that none of this sector has been put under controls like the Domestic sector.

In a previous life when i wad in a different professiom, I worked at a hotel chain. In-house Estates team did all the maintenance. Untrained guys would change sockets and do other odd jobs. 90% of the time they were 'experienced' enough for basic maintenance - but 10% of the time they weren't - and certaintly didnt know of what to do if they encountered an issue. I remember one of the maintenance guys telling me he regularly fouid sockets woth 4 or 5 cables coming out and if replacing the front he would just replicate it and push it back. Similarily there wasn't record keeping. I imagine this is the same story in many hotels, community centres, schools etc.

Im not assuming this is the cause but it's certainly a trend i've noticed. I've always found it bizzare that domestic work is somewhat regulated but it isn't really in other sectors

Not that regulation really fixes anything - and just ends up costing trades more

Still find it a bit of a giggle that I make changes to 415v boards at work, where the public can access fixtures and fittings - but can't fit a 240v DB at home where I live on my own because i'm not in a scheme / scam.

I remember a good few years ago now me and a mate partially re=wired a massive old hotel. we went back about 6 months after we finished to find their handyman / painter / plumber had spliced into all of our new cables and added extra sockets in 1mm cable, changed the white plastic switches we fitted and left all the earths disconnected in the back and put on metal plates etc etc.
Heaven forbid someone got a massive bolt and dies in that hotel my name would be on the EIC who officially worked on the electrical install.
yet the handyman made a tonne of rubbish alterations after we had left the job.
Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

Reply to Sad story in the news in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net