Discuss Scrap prices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I got £188.38 in July 2017 for 92 kilos.
They were paying £3,400 for heavy copper, £3,100 for No. 2 copper wire, £1,280 for VIR household cable and £800 for low grade cable.
I assume the price is for a metric tonne.

I then got another £90 for 60 kilos of singles from another dealer, in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I got.

Heavy cooper tube £3300 Metric Tonne
Unstripped T&E £1060 Metric Tonne
Sorted cable No 2 (Singles) £1400 Metric Tonne

Equated to £43 for a rubble sack of T&E, 1/3 sack of singles and 1/4 sack of busbars, stripped cable and odds and sods of pure copper.

Lad there said cable prices are quite low at the moment and up and down.

December last year, I got £295 for 158 kilos of singles from the first dealers I used.
Price was £1,870 per tonne.
Not sure if that’s up or down from before, as they haven’t described it as anything other than singles.

£1.00 a kilo for general mixed cables seems par for the course.

Stripping improves this but is not cost effective, unless you have cheap labour.

Does anyone think the time and effort it takes to strip t&e is worth it it or are you just better selling with sheath on I have about half a tonne in my back yard and it is getting unsightly and can’t find the time to strip it anymore

If I take out any reasonable lengths of old coloured singles , swa or t&e it goes straight on ebay

I even keep some old empty cable rolls and coil the swa cable back on it if a long length of say 10-15m

I recently took out a load of 4mm red/black t@e from a house and git over £50 for all the lengths as a job lot on eBay

Does anyone think the time and effort it takes to strip t&e is worth it

Let's do the math, using @rolyberkin numbers above. Imagine you have 1000m of 2.5mm² 6242y to weigh in. According to Eland, that would weigh 120kg, so...

Unstripped, 0.120ton * £1060 = £127.20

Stripped, the three cores add to 6.5mm², density of copper at 0.00896 g/mm³, it would weigh 6.5*1000000*0.00896 = 58.24kg, so...

Stripped, 0.05824ton * £3300 = £192.19

So, you just gained 65 quid, and 62kg of PVC to sneak into your home wheelie bin and hope the council don't notice.

Depends on how quickly you can strip it and how much spare time you have I guess! (Me: see's irony about doing sums for a complete stranger on the internet, while doubting whether people have spare time to kill!!!)

90% of cable I remove from jobs is perfectly re-usable imo

I ditch any vir or old tinned imperial stranded cable straight in the skip

But any twin and earth old colours go straight on eBay and new colours in the garage for small jobs

I currently have about 30 short lengths of 1.5 and 2.5 off cuts perfect for spurs off sockets or moving lights etc

Why are people scrapping perfectly usable cable ...?

Reply to Scrap prices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock