Discuss Scrap prices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I currently have about 30 short lengths of 1.5 and 2.5 off cuts perfect for spurs off sockets or moving lights etc

Why are people scrapping perfectly usable cable ...?

I wouldn't use any cable, unless its something I've obtained from a reliable source. You don't know where that cable has come from, who has manufactured it etc, etc.

I wouldn't use any cable, unless its something I've obtained from a reliable source. You don't know where that cable has come from, who has manufactured it etc, etc.

You can normally still see the bs / basec on the cable you pull out , I just give it a quick wipe and coil it up for the off cut box

The only cable I have purchased which was fake was from a reputable diy shed, the cable was completely plain on the sleeve with absolutely no makers markings on it or the drum. Just had 1+1 embossed on the sleeve.
It was tough as old boots and hideous to strip so went in the bin.

Do people not keep mcbs they take out from old consumers units for spares ?

Does any know the value of scrap copper at the moment? Want to know roughly how much a black bag full of twin and earth would be?
Depends on the size of the bag!!!!

You can normally still see the bs / basec on the cable you pull out , I just give it a quick wipe and coil it up for the off cut box

The only cable I have purchased which was fake was from a reputable diy shed, the cable was completely plain on the sleeve with absolutely no makers markings on it or the drum. Just had 1+1 embossed on the sleeve.
It was tough as old boots and hideous to strip so went in the bin.

Do people not keep mcbs they take out from old consumers units for spares ?
Without meaning to go all Murdoch on you..

Do your customers know you are installing 2nd hand cable of unknown origin?

Without meaning to go all Murdoch on you..

Do your customers know you are installing 2nd hand cable of unknown origin?

I'm not talking completing a re-wire using old cable

I'm talking about using a short off cut here and there for perhaps a garage socket or spur off a socket to a new socket about 6 inch away

As I say ALL old colours be it T&E , singles and SWA goes straight in Ebay , what the buyer uses if for is up to them I guess

As I said I pulled out about 35-40M of R/B 4mm from a property which was having the old storage heaters ripped out and GCH installed.

The old cable fetched about £50 on Ebay , there is a massive demand for old cables

I'm not talking completing a re-wire using old cable

I'm talking about using a short off cut here and there for perhaps a garage socket or spur off a socket to a new socket about 6 inch away

As I say ALL old colours be it T&E , singles and SWA goes straight in Ebay , what the buyer uses if for is up to them I guess

As I said I pulled out about 35-40M of R/B 4mm from a property which was having the old storage heaters ripped out and GCH installed.

The old cable fetched about £50 on Ebay , there is a massive demand for old cables

Wots the difference between minor works and a rewire?

Wots the difference between minor works and a rewire?
MNEWC is issued when you are not adding any circuits only altering an existing circuit, EIC is issued when wiring a new circuit or a complete rewire, Changing a CU.

I know that Pete, what I don’t know is, wot was the point of my post and how you found it 7 months later. :)
Never checked the date Middy, the post just came up in new posts, someone with sausage finger maybe, no harm done that's what matters really.

Reply to Scrap prices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock